Premed 101 Forums

wat are my chances

amu

Hi all....I applied to a handful of american schools (sent in my omsas in Nov and all secondaries late Dec) and am anxiously waiting to hear back about interviews. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who was granted interviews after applying so late in the application cycle. I am also a Canadian citizen (no visa or green card). I will post my stats also...

GPA 3.8 (3.9 if summer courses not included)

MCAT: 9V, 13P, N, 11B

Lots of volunteering and EC's, an undergraduate thesis, job shadowing family physician for 2 years, teaching assistanceship...etc etc

Schools i applied to: Albany, george washinton, jefferson, michigan state, NYMC, Penn state, Stony Brook, Tulane, UCLA drew medical college, Washington U (already rejected me).

Call every school and ask....not only will this give you an exact response, but if schools say "we are not yet done interviewing," you should state that you are still interested in their institution and would like to still be considered. It won't hurt, if anything, it will end your agony regarding schools that have already made up their minds that they don't want you, and give you a bit of a boost with schools who are still not sure if they would like to see you or not, because they'll know that you are still very much interested.

It's tough to say because each school is so different. I actually sent in my Penn State secondary in November, interviewed in January, and was accepted in February...so I don't know how much difference one month would make. My stats were similar to yours. I think a lot of schools are setting up for March/April interviews now so chances may be slim...

i'm also going to say your chances are slim. i applied very late as well (october mid, primary); secondaries dec.

i have interviews at the schools that had no secondary essay. just the secondary fee.

i think applying late REALLY put us at a disadvantage. my stats are pretty similar to yours...

if i have to do this again *and i pray i won't* i 'll know to apply early. they aren't kidding.

Thanks for everyone's input. I just received my interview invitation to Penn State today! Very nervous and excited.

awesome. I dont understand why Penn hates me so much. I was complete since Aug. lol.

It's a good school! good luck...and check out the studentdoctors.net interview feedback to prepare for your interview.

Archived