Premed 101 Forums

conversion GPA

muska911

Can anyone tell us what GPA and MCAT scores pretty much guarantee you acceptance? (not factoring in the interview)

Can anyone ever say: I'm an in-province student, I have a 3,9 GPA and a MCAT of 35, therefore my chances are close to a 100%??? (fictitious statement)

Doesn't McGill have the highest ratio of applicants-acceptees in the whole country (for in-province applicants, of course)?

Has anyone ever applied with, say, a 3,7 and a score of 30 (10 everywhere) and gotten in? Or even lower scores?

Last, since they don't have A+'s, do they simply take your A+'s and your A's and give them a 4.0 value and that's it? Nothing more, nothing less?

Thanks to everyone who can shed some light on this.

Voici le tableau de notes chez McGill:

A

85 - 100%

A-

80 - 84%

B+

75 - 79%

B

70 - 74%

B-

65 - 69%

C+

60 - 64%

C

55 - 59%

D

50 - 54%

F (Fail)

0 - 49%

Il me parrait que les 4.3 seront considérés comme 4.0 dans la conversion. Si vous appliquez aux universités d'Ontario, vos notes >90% seront considérés comme 4.0 tandis que vos notes entre 85-90% deviendraient des 3.9.

Can anyone tell us what GPA and MCAT scores pretty much guarantee you acceptance? (not factoring in the interview)

Can anyone ever say: I'm an in-province student, I have a 3,9 GPA and a MCAT of 35, therefore my chances are close to a 100%??? (fictitious statement)

Doesn't McGill have the highest ratio of applicants-acceptees in the whole country (for in-province applicants, of course)?

Has anyone ever applied with, say, a 3,7 and a score of 30 (10 everywhere) and gotten in? Or even lower scores?

Last, since they don't have A+'s, do they simply take your A+'s and your A's and give them a 4.0 value and that's it? Nothing more, nothing less?

Thanks to everyone who can shed some light on this.

I actually consider this very exciting for IP people. But I don't think you could put a guarantee on it, but the chances are certainly up there.

There is no GPA that will guarantee you acceptance. McGill really looks at your whole application and not just the numbers. There are people in my class who had gpa's below 3.5 and mcat scores slightly below 30 but made up for it by their interview/letter. I have friends who applied last year with gpa's over 3.85 and great mcat scores and didnt get in. Just spend a lot of time preparing for your interview (if you are at mcgill for undergrad, go to CAPS and ask for a mock interview). Although my interview was really relaxed and I didn't get asked any ethics or tough questions (and many people in my class also had relaxed interviews like this), what I did to prepare was go to the library and get a biomedical ethics book and look at some of the cases. I didn't read the whole book but went over it quickly to help me feel comfortable with those kind of situations if they were asked on the interview.

If you applied for this year, there's nothing you can do for the next 2 weeks (except maybe start preparing for a potential interview) but wait to see if you got an interview. If you get an interview, work with some friends to practice your interview skills (or go to CAPS) and keep up with what is happeing in the news (MOntreal news and national and international news ->REALLY important).

If you are applying next year, keep working hard in your classes and get some more volunteer experiences in or run for student council or a club excutive position. Work on your essay early because it is the single most important part of your application.

If you have any questions about mcgill med (I'm a med 1) , you can definately ask me

Archived