Premed 101 Forums

OOP vs. international applicant

muhgel

Hi people, I was just looking at the applicant status at mcgill website

OOP seats:4-7 applicants: 400

International seats:12 applicants: 150

Im a BC resident but studied my undergrad at Mcgill. No chance at UBC obviously so I am looking at the Ontario schools & McGill. I also have dual citizenship, so according to the stats, an international applicant has a better shot than an OOP canadian? overlooking the tuition differences, can someone gimme some advise whether or not to apply as an OOP or as an international applicant? I wonder if they will find it fishy that i was a OOP mcgill undergrad but now an international applicant. Also I wonder if they have a different admission forumla for IP vs OOP vs international app.

Anyone got any idea? Thanks!

Muhgel

You cannot apply as an international applicant if your status at McGill as an undergrad is out-of-province Canadian. This is because your status is very clearly stated in your McGill transcript and the people at McMed will talk to the people at James Admin. In any case, if they find out, you are in big trouble. I was told this in one of the med school seminars that the McGill Faculty of Medicine gave (I am also a dual citizen and a BC resident going to school at McGill....so I can sympathize).

So, if you are OOP right at McGill, you can only apply as OOP to their MD program (as far as I know). But why do you say that UBC is out of the question if you are a BC resident? UBC almost exclusively takes BC residents (only 10 spots for OOP). If you think you are good enough to apply to Ontario and Quebec as an OOP, then you definitely have a good chance (academically anyway) at UBC.

Hope this helps!

If I were you, I would DEFINITELY apply to UBC. That's what I'm in the process of doing right now. I've lived in Quebec for 5 1/2 years and will have done 2 degrees at McGill by the end of this semester. I applied to UBC and UBC has no problems considering me an IP applicant (I have an interview at UBC in 1 week). You have nothing to fear...trust me, provided you have good extracurriculars and you present this well in your application, you probably have a higher chance of getting into UBC than the Ontario or Quebec schools.

If you really don't want to go to school in BC and want to change your Canadian residency status - then perhaps you want to consider living and workig in Quebec for a year after you graduate and then apply to McGill as a Quebec student. You should check with James Admin about the details.

As for me, UBC is definitely my first choice and I can't wait to go back to BC! Quebec and Montreal have been nice to me and I know I will really miss it, but BC = home.

Hope this helps and sorry for rambling.

Just to clarify, this has nothing to do with the undergraduate medical program but rather is specific to the family med residency...

Not sure what you were referring to in your post above about altering the admissions requirements??

thats why i said i was wrong. my apologies

Archived