Premed 101 Forums

First time poster

Hi all,

This is the first time I've posted here. I'm considering applying for dental school and writing the DAT next November. I just have a few general questions that have been lingering on my mind and I thought some people here can help me out.

1. What GPA scores and DAT scores are competitive for (a) U of T, (B) Western, and © McGill?

2. Has anyone gotten an interview at Western if they've taken less than 5 courses per semester?

3. Do the schools use this conversion chart to convert a GPA from a 10 scale to a 4 scale?

4. Which books best prepare you for the DAT? So far, I've ordered Kaplan and IQ publications.

5. Do psychology courses count as social science prereqs at UofT?

6. How much weight is put on GPA, DAT, interviews and letters of reference/autobiography at the aforementioned schools?

7. I understand you can drop your worst year from your GPA when you apply to UofT, but does that mean both fall and winter semesters have to be in the same year, or can it be a fall semester from one year and a winter semester from another (the equivalent of one full year)? (I know that was a weird question)

I know I have some more questions but those are the ones that come to mind for now. :confused:

Thanks in advance everyone :)

Hi all,

This is the first time I've posted here. I'm considering applying for dental school and writing the DAT next November. I just have a few general questions that have been lingering on my mind and I thought some people here can help me out.

1. What GPA scores and DAT scores are competitive for (a) U of T, (B) Western, and © McGill?

2. Has anyone gotten an interview at Western if they've taken less than 5 courses per semester?

3. Do the schools use this conversion chart to convert a GPA from a 10 scale to a 4 scale?

4. Which books best prepare you for the DAT? So far, I've ordered Kaplan and IQ publications.

5. Do psychology courses count as social science prereqs at UofT?

6. How much weight is put on GPA, DAT, interviews and letters of reference/autobiography at the aforementioned schools?

7. I understand you can drop your worst year from your GPA when you apply to UofT, but does that mean both fall and winter semesters have to be in the same year, or can it be a fall semester from one year and a winter semester from another (the equivalent of one full year)? (I know that was a weird question)

I know I have some more questions but those are the ones that come to mind for now. :confused:

Thanks in advance everyone :)

Congratulations on your first post!!:)

I just spent half an hour answering your questions after which it said i am not logged in and deleted my message so now I have retype!... so frustrating...

1. For statistics of western go to http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/dentistry/docs/Class%20of%202010%20-%20Statistics.pdf

For UT statistics, go to

http://www.utoronto.ca/dentistry/admissions/admissionsmain.html

click on 'Top 10' button, when the next page shows up, type "statistics" in the text box.

2. Ask the schools for important questions like this one! Otherwise you can be misinformed. Western is really nice when answering questions on email.

3. Not sure about this let me know which scale they use, my thinking is that they are using that the dentistry schools are also using the OMSAS scale but am not sure.

4. Different books are good for different sections. In my opinion, Kaplan is for Science, IQ for carving (and practice) and Barrons for PAT. So if you need help with PAT buy Barrons, its cheap (but has a lot of errors, so watch out!)

5. Again ask the school! I asked UT about my psychology course from UW counts or not and they said it did. Make sure you quote the course descriptions from your university calender in your email.

6. Search around in this board. You will find the answer for both schools. I don't remember at this point.

7. I don't think they do that, but if you are really concerned about this asking them wouldn't hurt either.

gl.

I just spent half an hour answering your questions after which it said i am not logged in and deleted my message so now I have retype!... so frustrating...

1. For statistics of western go to http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/dentistry/docs/Class%20of%202010%20-%20Statistics.pdf

For UT statistics, go to

http://www.utoronto.ca/dentistry/admissions/admissionsmain.html

click on 'Top 10' button, when the next page shows up, type "statistics" in the text box.

2. Ask the schools for important questions like this one! Otherwise you can be misinformed. Western is really nice when answering questions on email.

3. Not sure about this let me know which scale they use, my thinking is that they are using that the dentistry schools are also using the OMSAS scale but am not sure.

4. Different books are good for different sections. In my opinion, Kaplan is for Science, IQ for carving (and practice) and Barrons for PAT. So if you need help with PAT buy Barrons, its cheap (but has a lot of errors, so watch out!)

5. Again ask the school! I asked UT about my psychology course from UW counts or not and they said it did. Make sure you quote the course descriptions from your university calender in your email.

6. Search around in this board. You will find the answer for both schools. I don't remember at this point.

7. I don't think they do that, but if you are really concerned about this asking them wouldn't hurt either.

gl.

thank you, thank you, thank you. you're a bank of information :)

Archived