Premed 101 Forums

Rank these in order of importance (qualities a doctor should have)

Ève

Please rank these "qualities of a doctor" in order of importance, according to you:

- Autonomy (capacity to work independently)

- Capacity to adapt

- Ability to understand self and others

- Awareness of the social and immediate environment

- Intellectual curiosity

- Capacity to work in a team

- Initiative

- Leadership

- Sense of responsibility (including reliability)

AND explain why you ranked a certain quality number 9 (i.e. last).

Thank you for giving me your two cents! I really appreciate it.

First of all, I don't think autonomy is the capacity to work independently, I'd say that's independence. Second, ranking a list like that is very difficult. I mean, what makes responsibility more important than capacity to work independently, for example. Also, I really think the list varies depending on the specialty. For example, capacity to work in a team is more important in specialties where you are constantly working with other people (vascular surgury) compared to something more independent (dermatology). Team work is important in both because you still have to deal with collegues and I'd consider the doctor-patient relationship as essentially a team since you are working to the same goal. But, the extent of importance in those specialties.

I know, it's silly and it can vary a lot, however Laval still asks us to answer that question! I've asked a nurse and a doctor so far, and answers vary greatly depending on their point of view. But it's interesting nonetheless. That's why I would like to hear from other people...

You can't just not answer (not rank), because then they go on asking you to take your top 4 qualities (from your list) and explain how you possess those, with examples, etc. So unless you rank them and provide a good explanation for number 9, you just can't answer the rest of the questionnaire... :(

Can't wait for this to be all over...

Please rank these "qualities of a doctor" in order of importance, according to you:

- Autonomy (capacity to work independently)

- Capacity to adapt

- Ability to understand self and others

- Awareness of the social and immediate environment

- Intellectual curiosity

- Initiative

- Leadership

- Sense of responsibility (including reliability)

AND explain why you ranked a certain quality number 9 (i.e. last).

Thank you for giving me your two cents! I really appreciate it.

hey eve,

when do they ask you to do this exactly? during the interview?

If you have the required cote R or when they calculate your CRU and find that you are above their requirement, they ask you to go online, print their questionnaire and send it to them prior to your interview (or along with your application package if you're from Cegep and have the right cote R). They call it the QAS.

NOT that I've heard from them, but I just think the exercise is formative.

I've only heard rumors... like end of March... but we should probably do a proper search in the Laval forum...

All I can see is that they've received all the required documents, and everything is fine in my file (from talking to someone at Admissions and checking my file online). I might not even need to worry about the QAS, since I might not even make the cut, but regardless, I thought it would be interesting to get other people's opinions...

I agree with Kuantum that it's really difficult to rank these from most to least important, but I'll try and break them down somewhat...

-Ability to understand self and others

-Sense of responsibility (including reliability)

-Awareness of the social and immediate environment

I think these are basic skills of immense importance that all of us need to be successful not only in our professional lives but also in our everyday personal and social lives...

-Autonomy (capacity to work independently)

-Capacity to adapt

I would say for all occupations, you need these skills to some extent...autonomy is almost like a prerequisite for teamwork...you need to know how to do your own thing in any job before you can contribute to the goals of the group, organization, whatever. Capacity to adapt, again, is a very useful skill...it's more important in some occupations than others, but some ability to adapt is essential for us all as it reflects learning and allows you to modify and apply what you've learned in one situation to deal with a variety of other situations.

- Intellectual curiosity

I would say these are essential for medicine...even if you become an "independent" kinda doctor, the road you'll take there through med school and residency is paved with teamwork....and also like Kuantum said, if nothing else, the doctor-patient relationship is certainly a kind of teamwork. As for intellectual curiosity, well it's also a must because a significant part of medicine is essentially putting the pieces together and problem-solving to arrive at a diagnosis.

- Initiative

- Leadership

Hmmm...well, this is kinda tough as leadership can be defined in many ways. But in general, I would say leadership and initiative are necessary for some occupations (eg politicians, leaders) and excellent skills to have in many other occupations including medicine, which is why so many medical schools encourage these skills in their applicants. Still, I feel that leadership, in the real sense of the word, is not essential in all branches of medicine.

So let's see...I donno...maybe one can say the first three (understanding, responsibility, awareness), while very important, are so basic that everyone who is a functional part of society has them. On the other hand, I think autonomy, adaptation, curiosity, and teamwork are essential for medicine...while initiative and leadership (depending on how you define them) may not be absolutely essential.

Just my opinion.:)

how do you check your file online??? I can access my file for mtl and sherbrooke, but because laval didnt send me anything, i didnt think it was possible to check it online yet??

Me neither I didnt know we could access laval applications? How do you access your file Eve?

To access your Laval file, you need to go on: http://www.ulaval.ca/adage you must enter your IDUL code and a password that you will be prompted to create. Plus, I now have a new Laval email address, with an inbox that's always empty! Ha ha ha! But I got all this information in an email they sent me, after sending them my application.

All you can see, though, is that there are documents missing (or not) in your application, at this point...

Call the registrar's office if you didn't get that email.

Hi,

"qualities of a doctor" are not static they are dynamic. Each circumstance a doctor may come across requires a unique perspective. Each of those "qualities" develops and suports the other, not one can exist without the other...my opinion.

BigFace,

I KNOW!!! I agree with you all. It's not my fault that Laval asks its candidates to do this exercise! It's silly and there's no good or bad ranking, I think. There's just good or bad justifying it. Not being from the medical field (yet!), I find it hard to rank those "qualities", and to justify my ranking! Every time I try to approach it from a different angle, I come up with a different ranking.

That is why I wanted to ask more knowledgeable people!!! You guys are giving me a hard time!!! (Thank you Avenir!)

You can find the QAS here:

http://w3.fmed.ulaval.ca/site_fac/programmes_de_1er_cycle/medecine/criteres_de_selection/note_autopbiographique_standardisee/

Ève

• 2 weeks later...

Archived