Premed 101 Forums

Any idea what this means?

I just read that the residency requirements have changed. Meaning that someone who has been out of province for a year would not be considered in the maritime pool. there is a follow-up notice on the admissions site that says masters students will be considered under both last year's and this year's rules. Does this mean that this does not apply to undergrads whose parents still live here?

just wondering.

As far as I know - They're applying both sets of rules this year. (Sort of like one of those formulae the professors use, like you must pass the exam, otherwise you get the exam mark, in order to pass the course..Except here, they'll basically consider you maritime if you previously qualified as a maritime applicant, or, if under the new residency rules, you're a maritimer.)

I don't think that the status of someone who attended university outside of the maritimes would be considered a non-maritime student (as long as they were in school for the period in question) - If you worked for a year, it might get foggy.

I think this whole thing mainly applies to OOP applicants who have come to the Maritimes for a Master's degree, or to work/volunteer/whatever, and are upset that they're not considered in the maritime pool.

This is a long-winded way to say:

If your parents live here, and you were away for school, you're definitely a maritime applicant this year. I'm not 100% sure about next year, but I'm pretty certain that will continue.

Archived