Premed 101 Forums

Immigrating to Toronto-interested in Medicine....need advice!!

Hey Everyone,

I will be immigrating to Toronto in April this year from England and I'm interested in studying medicine. I completed secondary school here and college but got a diploma in media. Only recently have I realised my interest in medicine and would like any advice as to what I should do?? Should I sit the GED Tests? The school system over in Canada seems to be quite different from the one over here in London so any help and advice would be great.

Thanks a lot

Char

I don't think you need to sit through GED. I would suggest e-mailing the undergraduate admissions office of the university you're interested in attending for the purpose of getting your med pre-requisites and asking them whether your British HS diploma is sufficient for admission to an undergrad program....as well as whether any courses from your college program would be transferable for credit. You're probably going to end up having to do at least 2 or so years of undergrad in order to get a bachelor's degree; however, if you want to apply to schools that require pre-reqs and the MCAT, you will end up having to take a bunch of science classes anyway. While admission to med w/o a bachelor's is possible, it's rather rare unless you have VERY impressive stats for the 2-3 years of uni you have completed (i.e. 3.9 or more).

Archived