Premed 101 Forums

Informing panel of former interview??

REL

So I have an interview coming up and I was interviewd at the same school last year. The panel doesn't have such information about myself...all they have is my essay and non-academic experience. Nothing about my application last year.

I was wondering what you guys think about telling them that this is my 2nd time around. It would show persistence and dedication. But if they ask the same questions, then the weight of my answers would be less interesting. I have no clue if they will of course but I'm just speaking hypothetically. Of course I'd make sure that if I bring it up it would be relevant and not just yell it out of nowhere. For example, personal growth or dedication to medicine. Your thoughts would be appreciated, especially those that are in the same boat.

I think its ok to bring it up, but, as you said, make sure you use it as evidence for your dedication etc. you dont even have to mention that you interviewed at that particular school ... just that you have applied previously to med schools in general. i think its only relevant to mention that it was to THAT particular school if they are asking you why you want to go there. you can use it to show them that you are serious about going to their school.

and unless you are applying to ubc, it is unlikely that you will have the same questions as last year, and they will certainly not hold it too much against you.

You could use it to your benefit on several questions. I.e. Why do you want to go here?

Well, I was already impressed when I interviewed last year, and this year I noticed that this was updated and this building was renovated, and students were telling me so and so.. so on and so forth.

This would probably communicate your dedication as well as praise the school.

I don't know about that... It kind of implies, "Well, why were you not good enough last year?" And it also begs the question, "Why are you a much better candidate this year?" Which might be all good and fine if they ask you that and you can provide an adequate answer, but it might just negatively affect them in the back of their minds.

I don't know about that... It kind of implies, "Well, why were you not good enough last year?" And it also begs the question, "Why are you a much better candidate this year?" Which might be all good and fine if they ask you that and you can provide an adequate answer, but it might just negatively affect them in the back of their minds.

I side with Smurfette......this has the potential risk of them immediately forming a negative impression of you (i.e. "here comes the reject"), which would then keep them looking for all the negative things in you to continue perpetuating that negative impression. The interview has too much of a subjective and personal element to it....had you been rejected before the interview, this wouldn't be a big deal, since that's generally based on just your stats, maybe the depth of your writing if evaluation of an essay was involved.

I totally agree with posters above...I think telling them that right away biases them, no matter what people say about being objective. I think that whole "first 10 seconds" of an interview, whether for med school or a job, sets the tone for who they think you are, and you can't shake it afterwards. I used to interview people for jobs and worked as a recruiter and trust me, no matter how well trained you are in behavioural interview skills you are still human, and there is still that little voice in the back of you head that says "I don't/do like something about this guy/girl..."

SO Your dedication and willing to try again can be emphasized by something else in your autobiographical sketch - those are soft skills that can be demonstrated in many many other, more relevant ways. I also don't think that you not getting in last year is relevant - you've got an interview this year - WOW them, don't remind them of what you "didn't" do, get etc.

GOOD LUCK!!!

I totally agree with posters above...I think telling them that right away biases them, no matter what people say about being objective. I think that whole "first 10 seconds" of an interview, whether for med school or a job, sets the tone for who they think you are, and you can't shake it afterwards. I used to interview people for jobs and worked as a recruiter and trust me, no matter how well trained you are in behavioural interview skills you are still human, and there is still that little voice in the back of you head that says "I don't/do like something about this guy/girl..."

very interesting to hear it from the POV of the interviewer! If you don't mind me asking, what faults jump out at you most to give you that "little voice"? Is it physicial, like "he looks like a thug/wimp/nerd/bore/etc", or intellectual, like "she didn't answer the first question well"? Or is it just purely instinctive and you can't pinpoint it?

very interesting to hear it from the POV of the interviewer! If you don't mind me asking, what faults jump out at you most to give you that "little voice"? Is it physicial, like "he looks like a thug/wimp/nerd/bore/etc", or intellectual, like "she didn't answer the first question well"? Or is it just purely instinctive and you can't pinpoint it?

Hey I've interviewed people for jobs. A lot of it is purely instinctive. Sometimes it's things on their resume. I liked asking about things on the resume that I knew a lot about. I judged them by how much they BS'd (ie. did they make something that was not a big deal a big deal? Or did they make something up? Or were they just honest?). Sometimes they just gave really stupid answers. We asked one candidate how well she worked independently (it was a job that involved lots of independent work). She basically said, "Well, I was once not given much direction on this job I did. So, I waited to get instructions and I kind of didn't get much done." Wow. LOL. I mean, I know she was nervous and everything (it was obvious), but come on!

Excellent points you guys. Thanks for all that. I think I'm gonna avoid it all together. I totally agree with the post above saying I shouldn't focus any of their time on why I didn't get in last year, but I really do wanna wow them. Excellent point. But of course if they ask, I'll explain and I'll show how I improved from last year. Best of luck to everybody.

LOL like Smurfette said it's mainly instinctual - I LOOOVE how some scientific research articles about the art of interviewing talk about "objective" evaluations - NOTHING in life is truly objective. No matter how much we try, we're just human.

And personally, it's never "faults" but the "fit" if that makes any sense. You interview differently for different things, but for a job you do look for skills but also for honesty i.e. I really appreciated people who admitted they didnt' know everything, but who had ideas on how to improve on it. People who had something to contribute - I mean you can talk about your "soft" skills all you want i.e. I am task-oriented, smart, good-communicator, but I want you to SHOW me, in the things you've done in the past, in the things you want to do in the future. And sometimes, it's nothing that you can put a finger on - it's just "right".

I know this must drive very scientific people nuts:)

My advice - if you know you're going to be asked about your previous application, anticipate it but don't volunteer it. By anticipate I mean write down 3 GOOD points and support each with an experience that's relevant to med school. It's really really better to make a few good points than lots of mediocre ones. And like many people say - be yourself, that drive, passion, interest in medicine will shine through:D

Archived