Premed 101 Forums

elective @ Stanford...?

No problem. :)

I don't think that's a question anyone here could answer... it would all be pure speculation. Canadians do apply for the American match so I'm assuming they will have done some electives in the States. You should probably just email them and find out.

Why the interest in Stanford, if you don't mind me asking?

hey! My aunt lives in San Francisco and she got her MD degree @ Stanford. She really wanted to show me around the campus when I visited there, and it was just AWESOME! You should see their state-of-the-art medical facilities; no wonder they are known as one of the most prestigious universities in the world. If there is an opportunity, I would like to do electives at Stanford. lol but honestly, I wouldn't want to actually LIVE there cuz Canada is such a nicer place to live :)

You should see their state-of-the-art medical facilities; no wonder they are known as one of the most prestigious universities in the world. If there is an opportunity, I would like to do electives at Stanford. lol but honestly, I wouldn't want to actually LIVE there cuz Canada is such a nicer place to live :)

Hey,

I agree. I had a chance to nip down to Stanford last year when I took a wee jaunt to the area and it's pretty superb. I also had the opportunity to attend an imaging conference last year and one of the leading guys in molecular imaging hails from Stanford and delivered a bang-up talk. They certainly know what they're doing there to impress folks.

As for living, it's a pretty amazing part of the world. San Fran is one of the most gorgeous cities (one of my favourites) and the environs aren't bad too, e.g., Half Moon Bay, Napa Valley, etc., especially if you enjoy good food and wine. It's one of my top choice of locales to do an elective and/or fellowship, well, if it wasn't for those pesky earth tremors.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

lol yea. I've actually visited MANY prestigious, world-class universities (most of famous Canadian schools, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Tokyo, etc) but personally I thought Stanford was the best. In terms of the campus attractiveness, I would most definitely choose Stanford as first, UBC as second, and McGill as third. :) What about u people?

lol yea. I've actually visited MANY prestigious, world-class universities (most of famous Canadian schools, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Tokyo, etc) but personally I thought Stanford was the best. In terms of the campus attractiveness, I would most definitely choose Stanford as first, UBC as second, and McGill as third. :) What about u people?

Hey again,

A few to add to the attractiveness list: U. Berkeley (but probably due to a certain nascent, fabulous restaurant!), U. of Glasgow, and I did enjoy an autumn walk about the Harvard campus. Sydney U. and Perth U. in Australia are both pretty darned nice as well. Although I haven't been there, I hear from some of my pals who've graduated from there that Oxford is quite a visual feast.

Cheers

Kirsteen

• 3 weeks later...

Stanford is GORGEOUS.. I spent a day there and loved it... went to Santa Clara (Steve Nash's alma mater) that night and watched an NCAA game.. its amazing how different it is from any canadian college game.

I went to Berkely but it was cold and rainy and I was hungover.. so not so much pleasant memories.

Archived