Premed 101 Forums

Previous UofT students who got into UBC this year, please help me out!

Hey all. I understand that UBC dentistry requires students to take 1 full year of general chem, organic chem, biology, physics, english, math, and biochemistry. But since UBC isn't generous enough to post a course equivalency chart, I'm a bit confused :(

For the biology requirement, I have taken:

BIO150 (Evolutionary biology & ecology) - full year

BIO250 (Cell bio) - full year

For calculus:

MAT135 (Introductory calculus) -full year

For physics:

PHY138 - full year

For organic chem:

CHM138 - half course

CHM245 - half course

For English:

ENG100 (Writing) - half course

ENG140 (Literature) - full year

ok, so far so good. But here comes the problem: general chem and biochem requirement.

I have taken CHM139 (1st year physical chem - half course). But since UBC requires 1 full year of general chem (2 gen. chem courses for semestered schools like UBC) I'm just totally lost. As you guys may already know, the UofT doesn't offer 2 first year general chem courses like other schools (at the UofT, 1st year chem courses = chm139 (physical chem) and chm138 (organic chem)) Which chem course did u guys choose to fulfil the other half of the chemistry requirement? Would CHM220 fulfil the requirement?

I have taken BCH210, a half-year course. But again, UBC requires A FULL YEAR (DAMNIT!) of biochemistry. Which other bch course have u guys taken?

I would appreciate any suggestions. Please please please help me out.

Thanx a lot in advance.

yea dude...you need to look into these requirements...

they didnt have them 2 years ago when i was finishing up my undergrad ...i had to scramble and take physiology, biochem e.t.c. to meet the requirements

if you have applied for 2007/2008 academic year, you may have a slight problem because all courses taken after may 31/07 will be void... :(

i would consider calling the schools but, i dont know if it will help considering you haven't taken 2 half-credits that are part of their pre-requisites. you will probably be in the same dilemma with western as well as u of t if this is the case....

as to your original qtn, im not sure which couses but, i wanted to let you know how the situation might play out...

good luck to you

Woah, fast fast response! :) Thanx, I really appreciate it. Btw, I didn't apply to any of dental schools this year. I'll probably be applying to the UofT, UBC, McGill, UWO, and UAlberta next year. I really want to go to UBC because thats where I came from :P but yea, UBC has ridiculous # of pre-requisites which every applicants must fulfill, and they are just driving me nuts (I've been trying to contact the admissions, but they just never pick up their phones nor reply to my e-mails :() . I really think every schools should have course-equivalency charts since many students are going crazy without it.

Hey no problem.

Best thing I can advise you to do is see the course listings on the ubc website:

http://www.dentistry.ubc.ca/academic_programs/dmd/prerequisites.asp

You can also get detailed course listings here:

http://www.students.ubc.ca/calendar/courses.cfm?code=BIOC

Just find out which courses at u of t correspond to the ones listed as pre-requisites

KevinKwon, I was in the same situation as you when I applied to McGill. I went to U of T and took the same orgo courses u referred to, and CHM139. Be careful, CHM220 is NOT LAB INTENSIVE, therefore it will not count towards prerequisites. It's a theory-based quantum course.

To fulfill the Gen. Chem requirement, I went to Carleton for about a month and half for the summer and took their full year course. It was a lot of work and labs, but it was doable. I suggest doing that, or going to another school that offers a full year gen. chem in the summer.

The summer chem credit from Carleton was of course approved by all the U.S schools I applied to, and by McGill, so UBC should also accept it. Good luck!

Archived