Premed 101 Forums

Closed/Open file interview?

I believe they will have our sketch. They put this on their recent updates page:

http://meds.queensu.ca/students/meds2011/recent_updates

Just in case you are wondering what interviews are like at Queen's, here's a brief overview:

The interviews are usually about 30 minutes to 1 hour long, and there is no need to feel anxious if you come out of the interview at either end of the spectrum. Just because you got out of there in 30 minutes, it doesn't mean the interviewers thought you were boring! You will be interviewed by three people: one community volunteer, one 2nd year medical student, and one faculty member. Last year, members of our class were asked a variety of different questions in our interviews, but our best advice is to be prepared answer questions about your personal sketch as well as one or two questions about what you think of Medicine or Health Care. You will not be "quizzed". The interviewers would like to learn about YOU, not about your thoughts on the latest drug to be banned by Health Canada!

Yep - they will have your autobiographical sketch and nothing else. Your MCAT/GPA scores have already been tossed so everyone who makes it to the interview stage is on an even playing field. At this point, it's all about who you are and how you interact with the interviewers. And (cause I know a few people were concerned about this) us future 2nd years have NOTHING to do with the decision, so feel free to be completely comfy with us over the weekend. :)

feel free to be completely comfy with us over the weekend. :)

Oh yeah?

Could you send me a list of people who would be free to be completely comfy with me over the weekend?

I'm already getting giddy over this thing and it's full month away. Did anyone feel almost apathetic towards the date, your energy drained from all the excitement leading up to it?

• 5 months later...
Yep - they will have your autobiographical sketch and nothing else.

Given that the interviewers have a copy of our sketch, I'm considering leaving a number of the smaller items out of my sketch so that the bigger items don't get lost on the list. Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether this method is wise or not?

A couple examples of my "bigger" items include working for 8 years as a paramedic/paramedic supervisor and volunteering for 12 years with a national organization that organizes science fairs for students from grade 7 through high school. Some of the "smaller" items that I am considering leaving out include jobs that I held for less than a year, volunteering that I did during high school, and formal education where I only took a course or two (though the courses are still listed in the section on "post secondary education").

What do you think? Thanks for your help.

Elaine

i'd say put as much as you want on it... they did a pretty good job at picking out almost everything i did during undergrad and asked about that... i don't think i got any questions regarding high school activities. Other schools may take this into account (and Queens may well take it into account outside the interview) so i wouldn't skimp on stuff unless you've got more important stuff to take its place.

Archived