Premed 101 Forums

Representing your school

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no matter what every side says, this is THE MOST engaging thread of all medical schools. makes all those other schools' forums look lame and boring. make no mistake U of C is a great school, despite this year's presentation, its just a shame that some of the qualified candidates will turn you down solely due to the Macaque-factor that definitely will sway some of the choices come May.

on the other hand it is one of those situations where ANY publicity is good.

its just a shame that some of the qualified candidates will turn you down solely due to the Macaque-factor that definitely will sway some of the choices come May.

lol ... i remember in 2005, i was so mad at the u of c for awarding me the wrong undergrad degrees and then trying to pin the blame on me. "yes, we understand that our rules in the calendar were ambiguous," the dean of social sciences had told me, "but unfortunately, your interpretation was incorrect. (cuz we are never at fault)."

so when i was applying again for entry in 2006, i was absolutely convinced that i would not go to u of c for med school if i got in anywhere else. and then, slowly, one by one, all the rejection letters came in. and lo and behold, ucalgary was the only school to interview (and accept) me. trust me: you learn very quickly how to overlook such "unprofessional" incidents very quickly ;) i don't even flinch when i see the mistakes on my diplomas anymore.

no matter what every side says, this is THE MOST engaging thread of all medical schools. makes all those other schools' forums look lame and boring. make no mistake U of C is a great school, despite this year's presentation, its just a shame that some of the qualified candidates will turn you down solely due to the Macaque-factor that definitely will sway some of the choices come May.

on the other hand it is one of those situations where ANY publicity is good.

Well the beauty of a highly competitive program is if those so called "qualified" people turn us down there are others just as qualified to fill those spots and frankly i'd rather have people who want to be here get in...makes for a much better environment. I feel like any publicity is always good since some of the comments have hurt others feelings. We're all in this together so its silly to put each other down.

I've been wanting to write something for this thread for a long time. I didn't want to say anything but I think it's about time for me to add my 2 cents.

Personally, I found the video and the medical school presentation quite funny. It wasn't very informative, but it was pretty entertaining in my opinion. The guy making the presentation was well spoken and very humorous, though the jokes were not exactly PC. He cracked one joke after another --> I chuckled many times. The video was also very funny and amusing. Again, I found the whole thing informal. It felt like a segment from the Jay Leno or Conan O'Brian Show. I never gave the presentation or video a second thought until I read about it in this forum.

Moreover,

Do you believe everything you hear? U of C medical school is 3 years and there is a lot of material to cover. I doubt you can do well or even pass unless you study quite hard. U of C Med may be P/F, but Pass is sometimes 80%. Biology/medicine requires a lot of memorization, so I'm pretty sure you need to study hard to do well. If you don't, you'll probably be lucky to barely pass.

In high school, some students whined before every exam, "Oh, I didn't study. I'm gonna fail." or "I'm not that smart. I'm not going to do well." Then they get 95% or something, and they say, "Oh gosh. How did I do that?" I'm ashamed to say I was one of those students. Never trust other people when they say they don't study.

Lastly, being aggressive or pro-active about your career or study comes within. It doesn't come about talking about it aggressively to others. I wouldn't want to hear about medical school students talking about how they study all the time, kiss ass to people in important positions to get into competitive residencies, etc... It's not cool. To me, the best persona to achieve is being hard working on the inside, and being relaxed on the outside.

That said, I think it's important for people giving the presentation to remember this: It's not a good idea to give the impression that once you're in medical school, your life is all set. Moreoever, since U of C is P/F, you just need to pass and can party and have fun. This kind of image gives a very bad reputation of the medical profession.

Well the beauty of a highly competitive program is if those so called "qualified" people turn us down there are others just as qualified to fill those spots and frankly i'd rather have people who want to be here get in...makes for a much better environment. I feel like any publicity is always good since some of the comments have hurt others feelings. We're all in this together so its silly to put each other down.

2009mg,

no need to spell out your point, it was obvious when you suggested to "lighten up"

u ppl...

Hahaha.. shouldn't someone be studying for Cardio-Resp instead of posting like a fiend? :P

Haha...you know I can't help it...plus I might have stayed at school till 12 all this week and have almost finished the Cardio book...booyah....take that! I think I just figured out that reading the text book is actually helpful.

Dialtin: I guess all i can say to you is that you'll find out if you get in here. You'll be surprised by how much your outlook on things change...an experience I can't really describe but i can assure you that after a few months here you might find yourself agreeing with some of what I said. We deal with so many serious issues on a daily basis that we need a mental break once in a while. Preparing for an interview can give you tunnel vision regarding what med school is and your expectations skew towards your preconceived notions. Our goal as team leaders was to encourage you to bring out your personality and not fall into the trap of coming off as stiff because you think that's what they expect. Did some of us take it too far...yes but it was only because we genuinley cared about you guys and wanted to maximize your chances of getting in.

It looks like this debate is starting to cool off, so I'll try not to add any more fuel to the fire - however, it is really amazing to find this thread and get some confirmation that others have been sharing some of my same thoughs! I know for sure that I must have been in Steph's group, because we both interviewed on the same day and I can remember hearing precisely what she mentioned in her first post.

I'd like to say first of all that I didn't find the video presentation offensive at all. I thought it was very well done, and a nice way to wrap up a stressful day. Instead, what irked me a little bit were some of the comments from the guides (these have already been mentioned, i.e. use of independent study time, healthy populations class, flats of beer, etc.). I'm not a hardball or anything - I recognize that drinking, relaxing, and taking some time to yourself are required to stay sane - it's just that I didn't think these activities needed to be flaunted at the presentation. In other words, I think you should be proud of your traditions, but perhaps try not to be so eager to tell us about how rebellious they are :)

I recognized your (guide's) amazing personalities, smiles, friendliness (one of you even straightened my clothes before the interview! how awesome is that!) knowledge and helpfulness. You sold me with that, and I could tell that you were an awesome bunch. I just don't think it was necessary to tell us about all of your latest escapades - I think that kind of chatter should stay privy to your class and close friends.

All this being said, I recently talked to a couple of first year U of C medical students (not involved with the interview process) and came to realize that when people say it is a diverse class, they aren't lying. We saw one side of the class on interview day, but there are definitely others as well. I'm sure there's something for everyone at U of C medicine, and I can only hope to be so lucky as to hear good news on the 14th.

I didn't see a glaring lack of professionalism from the Class of 2009 on my interview day. Sure the group leaders were a little less than serious on my tour, but I realize that was just their personalities and not some systemic lack of maturity and professionalism in the whole class. There were other students, including some of the interviewers and presenters, who were paragons of maturity and professionalism. Frankly I was impressed with what I saw at U of C: the down-to-earth students created a friendly atmosphere with a comfortable waiting area and good food, and the administration seems to genuinely care about the students.

As one of the critics of the presentation, I actually really do agree with you. For me, there wasn't a lack of professionalism or maturity, just (what I percieved to be) a really unbalanced presentation of what the school is like outside of class. It sounds like the class of 2009 has considered our criticisms and started trying to improve things.

I just want to thank the Class of 2009 for their hard work "babysitting" us during the interview and for taking our criticisms with a constructive attitude!

Archived