Premed 101 Forums

bringing parents?

I have seen parents come for interviews.

One girl even brought her mom on the CaRMS tour :eek: Honestly, the mom did come in handy as they were travelling the same circuit as I was. Often the mom would watch our bags when we were forced to check out of a hotel before interviews :) It was nice to have a "mom" along to watch out for us (although, I don't know if I would have brought MY mom).

My med school interview is actually kind of an interesting story. I come from a pretty poor family with some big-time issues. My mom and I didn't have a car at the time of my interviews, so I had been thinking of taking the Greyhound bus from Calgary to Edmonton. At the last minute, my uncle said he could take me. My mom and little twin cousins wanted to come along too.

We all piled into my uncle's van and set off for Edmonton. We got there a bit early and stopped for lunch at O'Byrne's (an Irish Pub on Whyte Ave). I was wearing jeans and a hoodie, so changed into my interview clothes in the O'Byrne's bathroom. When I came out, the waitress was giving me the strangest look.

I didn't know much about formal interviews. I didn't own a suit, and certainly couldn't have afforded to buy one. I wore a floral skirt and a *silver* short-sleeved blouse that I had worn to my cousin's wedding the previous year... kind of garish in retrospect. Probably would have looked better at the nightclub than in an interview.

While I was waiting for my interview, my mom went outside and chain-smoked. My uncle and cousins hung out beside the Fishbowl (anyone from U of A will know where that is). The twins were loudly insisting that they wanted ice-cream bars from the vending machine. My uncle was wearing baggy jeans with holes and a flannel jacket. I wanted to sink into a hole in the floor and disappear completely.

All of the other applicants were dressed in their fancy suits (and me in my silver blouse). Conversation revolved on all of their other interviews... all of their volunteer experience overseas... all of their publications... "Oh... I thought about going to Europe this spring, but I am defending my Masters"... They started talking about the interview prep they had done. My "interview prep" basically involved remembering to show up...

When it was all over, we piled back into my uncle's van to drive back to Calgary. As I watched the sun set, I reflected on my interview day. The exact thought that ran through my brain: "An interesting glimpse into a world that I will never be a part of".

So, if you want to bring your parents/sibling/friend/significant other on interview day, go ahead! Bring them! They should probably hang out in the background and let you shine. You can tour the campus with them later on. I know a few people who did this.

ffp -- wow, that is inspiring.

for some reason, I had assumed you were a guy, but now I know otherwise :)

Not to hijack this thread, but with you mentioning people discussing overseas volunteering, etc, reminds me of one of my beefs with med school admissions. I feel like it's really biased against people who aren't able to do much volunteering. If you have to work during undergrad and go to school full-time it can be difficult to do a lot of volunteering -- and next to impossible to do anything overseas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived