Premed 101 Forums

about UBC application....

Don't forget they ask for the medical schools too!

Well at least that is a bit more reasonable cuz they wouldn't want to admit students who applied to dental school only as a back-up (I know many people have applied to dental school just in case they get rejected from medical schools). But why would they want us to give them a list of dental schools we've applied to? :confused:

i think this is the second time ive read someone posting dent as a back up for med school and how can dent be considered a back up when at the u of a for example, the avg pre-req and overall gpa for admission to dent was higher than med. Also, there are many more med schools available in the country than dent schools and the med program allows almost 4 times as many students into the program then a dent program.

i know this is irrelevant but i thought id just vent haha

Hey Shocker,

This will make you feel better. I know a girl who did not get an interview from UBC Dentistry, but received one from UBC Medicine.

Honestly, it really depends on what the applicant's strengths are. Since Dentistry has a greater emphasis on GPA, those who do apply cannot rely on the volunteer work they have accomplished whereas for Medicine, without any extracurriculars, you have no chance in hell.

I think the most important knowledge any applicants should be aware of is that when one applies to Medicine, one is looking at a general platform from which one finds a particular field of interest. In Dentistry, when one enters, one has already decided the specific field of interest.

Can you imagine if when applying to Medicine, you are applying straight into Obs/Gyn? That's how specific choosing Dentistry means.

Archived