Premed 101 Forums

Re-write MCAT or Apply early to US?

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be applying to US schools this summer. But I've got a dilemma. Here are my stats:

GPA:3.89 from U of Toronto

MCAT:

-BIO13, P/S10, Verbal 8, Writing S = 31S

- BIO14, P/S11, Verbal 8, Writing R = 33R

I don't really know how good my stats are (prob. none for the non top-5 schools; still waiting for my MSAR in the mail), but I'm debating whether to re-write the MCAT this July/August.

Only problem is, 1) I dont know how well I'd be able to improve in verbal , 2) I'll have to wait till mcat scores come out in September until my ap is considered "complete", which decreases my cahnces for schools that are on a rolling-basis.

Any advice would be greately appreciated!

I think you have a great shot in the US with your stats.....maybe not at top 5 schools but definitely at strong ones....I would not re-write your MCAT.....just make sure to apply to the US EARLY....on the first day if you can.....that will improve your cahnces....and the US schools dont have strict MCAT cut-offs like in Canada so your 8 will not affect your application too much....good luck

Hey,

How early is "early"? I know the aps are availale May 1, but what's actually required of the aps? are there any essay questions (b/c those take a long time), or are those in the secondary aps? If I'm able to get my ap package done by say July, is that too late?

Thanks!

Hey,

How early is "early"? I know the aps are availale May 1, but what's actually required of the aps? are there any essay questions (b/c those take a long time), or are those in the secondary aps? If I'm able to get my ap package done by say July, is that too late?

Thanks!

july is relatively early. you will still be part of the first wave of interviews. for dates check my mdapps. i was verified aug 7 and finished most secondaries a week after (I was really fast because I had LORs, even sec essays ready)...

P.S i submitted june 22nd...so be prepared for the delay...my biggest problem was the transcripts not reaching on time (send them in on MAY). I made it up by fast secondary completion time however.

I'm sorta in the same situation as the poster, but worse. I have a 3.83 GPA, but my MCAT is: 10PS/9BS/8VR with an 'S' in the essay.

I'm going to be taking the MCAT again this summer. But I'm wondering whether I should push myself to write it in June. I know this will push the assessment of my application back until the MCAT is submitted.

Should I be applying with the MCAT score I currently have, or should I wait and try to do better? Thanks.

________

XL FALCON

Hmm, I think you should rewrite.

If you end up going to school in Canada, it's a hell of a lot cheaper. You could start practicing to rewrite now, and try to get a spot to write in june, that way your score will be available by mid-end of July.

Anyway, I think if you in late July/really early August it won't be too bad. Again, someone who's applied is more qualified to comment on this.

But, I would imagine that if you get your secondaries done in August, then you'll be safe! And apply widely in Canada also.

Hey,

Thanks!

There's only a personal essay required on the initial app and detailed sketch information. you can prepare these in advance if you have time. you only need essays for some of the supplementarys and they all differ. you can do the inital app pretty quickly if you have all your info ready.

Hmm, I think you should rewrite.

If you end up going to school in Canada, it's a hell of a lot cheaper. You could start practicing to rewrite now, and try to get a spot to write in june, that way your score will be available by mid-end of July.

Anyway, I think if you in late July/really early August it won't be too bad. Again, someone who's applied is more qualified to comment on this.

But, I would imagine that if you get your secondaries done in August, then you'll be safe! And apply widely in Canada also.

I think you are safe if you have all your secondaries done BEFORE aug 15-30th (Like I have). I was first wave of interviews at most places: RFU, UVM, Wayne, Albany, Hawaii. Second wave at: Upstate, Vandy, SLU, EVMS. But after aug 15th, thats when it really slows down, because applications start piling up and review time lengthens. Check the dates on my MD apps.

Yes, you can start working on your secondary essays right after you finish and submit your primary applications. I did that since most schools release secondaries around july 1st.

I'm sorta in the same situation as the poster, but worse. I have a 3.83 GPA, but my MCAT is: 10PS/9BS/8VR with an 'S' in the essay.

I'm going to be taking the MCAT again this summer. But I'm wondering whether I should push myself to write it in June. I know this will push the assessment of my application back until the MCAT is submitted.

Should I be applying with the MCAT score I currently have, or should I wait and try to do better? Thanks.

re-write the MCATs and in June. even though you can get interviews with that score, its still tough. For canadians the magic number is 30. make sure this time you get all your science scores 10+. WIth that GPA you should be able to pull it off :-)

I think you are safe if you have all your secondaries done BEFORE aug 15-30th (Like I have). I was first wave of interviews at most places: RFU, UVM, Wayne, Albany, Hawaii. Second wave at: Upstate, Vandy, SLU, EVMS. But after aug 15th, thats when it really slows down, because applications start piling up and review time lengthens. Check the dates on my MD apps.

Yes, you can start working on your secondary essays right after you finish and submit your primary applications. I did that since most schools release secondaries around july 1st.

Yeah, and I believe you can look on SDN to see secondary questions that are being asked... that'll give you time to prepare the answers in advance.

I think your scores are fine. No need to rewrite, in my opinion. Your GPA is strong and everything but Verbal for the MCAT is strong too....which means only 1 out of 5 academic-related variables is lacking. Still, you didn't score below average on verbal, so this is not TOO big of a deal when you look at the big picture. Moreover, it's become VERY hard to get an MCAT seat with the CBT format....so I'd consider that you might not be able to get a seat....From what I recall, June and July dates have all been booked already, I'm not sure when the August slots open up for registration, but then remember that it takes a month for them to release the scores.

I didn't realize that the mcat registration was already open. I was expecting it to be like previous years. So, I'm writing on July 13th in Buffalo. It looks like that's too late for the US schools, seeing as though I won't have my score to submit until August. I guess I'm going to apply with what I have now. Oh well. Thanks for all the input.

________

Hawaii medical marijuana dispensaries

I didn't realize that the mcat registration was already open. I was expecting it to be like previous years. So, I'm writing on July 13th in Buffalo. It looks like that's too late for the US schools, seeing as though I won't have my score to submit until August. I guess I'm going to apply with what I have now. Oh well. Thanks for all the input.

You can keep looking for a spot in June. :)

If you find one you can transfer (but I think you have to pay a small fee).

not to late. have you transcripts in May, submit primary in June-july. Start working on sec. essays as soon as you finish your mcats. you should be all complete and sitting pretty by end of aug. thats still early.

not to late. have you transcripts in May, submit primary in June-july. Start working on sec. essays as soon as you finish your mcats. you should be all complete and sitting pretty by end of aug. thats still early.

Thanks for the advice. Does everyone else think this is still relatively early for the first wave? Sounds like I might be riding in between first and second.

________

LIST OF MAZDA TRANSMISSIONS HISTORY

They just won't process your application until the mcat is released.

I think your application is still processed by AMCAS and sent to the schools you've applied to - it's just that the schools wont review your application until they receive the new MCAT scores.

Thanks for the advice. Does everyone else think this is still relatively early for the first wave? Sounds like I might be riding in between first and second.

yes you will be...but you still be better off then submitting it in end of Aug.

if you do what I told you to do...once your scores are released, and the schools gets them (1-2 weeks after)...your file be read ASAP. cause all the hard part: write primary essay, sec essays, make sure LORs are there, money order sent...is done!

yes you will be...but you still be better off then submitting it in end of Aug.

if you do what I told you to do...once your scores are released, and the schools gets them (1-2 weeks after)...your file be read ASAP. cause all the hard part: write primary essay, sec essays, make sure LORs are there, money order sent...is done!

Thanks for the reply.

________

Classic

Archived