Premed 101 Forums

UBC:accepted-> help for waitlisted

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd bump this up again since medschool acceptances are going out today.

How many of you have applied to both dent and med? If so, which would you do if accepted to both.

Anyone accepted to med (in general) or ubc dent and planning to drop their ubc spot?

Well, keep in mind that those who were accepted to Dentistry and are waiting for Medicine will not be dropping Dentistry immediately. Typically, they will spend the day celebrating. Next, they will make the deposit and receive the confirmation before finally emailing Dentistry that they are dropping out. All this will likely take a week to several weeks. Keep in mind, it will also take UBC Dentistry some time to inform the next person on the waitlist.

As well, the next person could be another Medicine candidate who may subsequentlly drop the acceptance. The forum itself has a few candidates applying to Medicine who are waitlisted for Dentistry. Thus, the waitlist could move pretty fast.

Well, keep in mind that those who were accepted to Dentistry and are waiting for Medicine will not be dropping Dentistry immediately. Typically, they will likely ignore Dentistry and just spend the day celebrating their dreams of Medicine. Next, they will make the deposit and receive the confirmation before finally bothering to email Dentistry that they are dropping out. All this will likely take a week to several weeks. Keep in mind, it will also take UBC Dentistry some time to inform the next person on the waitlist.

As well, the next person could be another Medicine candidate who may subsequentlly drop the acceptance. The forum itself has a few candidates applying to Medicine who are waitlisted for Dentistry.

Yeah, I wasn't looking for people to tell me they got offers today due to people dumping their spots. I was aiming more for peoples plans since getting med acceptance/bump it up to keep it active!

I edited my previous post since it sounded inappropriate.

Dwayner, tt is a good suggestion to raise attention so forum members can be updated on the current movement of the waitlist.

As for choosing between the two professions, most of the candidates would choose Medicine since it is usually their first choice. From all the time I have spent on this forum, I have noticed Dentistry candidates tend not to apply to medicine as well. I suspect it is due to the lengthy process that they have to go through to apply including spending a summer studying to write an exam at the end of summer, studying topics that aren't covered for the DAT, going through a lengthy application process (ie. UBC), and beefing up their extracurriculars beginning early in undergrad.

With that said, I do want to state that I do not harbor any ill will towards those who wish to consider both professions. If you make it to acceptance, you earned your spot no matter where you rank the profession. It's fair game and quite frankly, brings out the best candidates.

just wanted to let u all know that i got the letter in the mail yesterday (monday)! i can breathe a sigh of relief now! .....thank you all for your support...hope to see u all in august and best of luck to those on the waitlist...is it too late for a tour adversary?

Archived