Premed 101 Forums

Rosalind Franklin University - Chicago Medical School

bwbl

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has ever been interviewed at Rosalind Franklin University (The Chicago Medical School). I just received an interview from that school, and I honestly don't know very much about that school. I just want to get a general impression of what the school and the interview process is like from those who got an interview from there.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has ever been interviewed at Rosalind Franklin University (The Chicago Medical School). I just received an interview from that school, and I honestly don't know very much about that school. I just want to get a general impression of what the school and the interview process is like from those who got an interview from there.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

RFU is a good school, considered a lower-tiered school by most people (even though there is no such thing all med schools are pretty equal). When I went there for interview I was suprised by how much cutting edge technology they had AND research options. The only drawback was the fact that they had no hospital to associated with nearby and thus you have to go to Chicago for your clinical years (RFU is 40 miles north of chicago). They had some financial issues a while back, but that had nothing to do with the medical school even though they changed the name of the medical school. Today, RFU is a pretty solid school as their match list can attest (they had a person get into Plastics at Stanford). Um...however, I felt like most students were "gunners", so it might have a competitive type student body. Especially when you consider that the school gives out alphabet grades (As, Bs, etc). Most schools are H/P/F. Surf through SDN to get more info on this school, there are couple current students on SDN who can obviously answer this question much better than I.

Ok now the interview process. I was there for the first week of interviews, way back in Oct (which now seems like a lifetime). If you are coming from Toronto, I suggest you fly there. Cost of a plane ticket is not bad (around 200-300 return I believe). Once you land on O'Hare, I strongly suggest you get a taxi. Make sure you ask for the price ahead of the time. It should not cost you more than 50 bucks not including tip (lol, I got ripped off I paid 100). I hitched a ride from another medical interviewee, so I saved myself money on the return trip. Remember its 35 miles from the airport so it is a long ways from chicago.

Anyways, I think I stayed at the Holiday inn (dont remember, its in the sheet they send you). Whats cool is that they have a shuttle that takes you directly to RFU. I arrived there at around 9. There are 2 interviews and anyone can interview you -Mds, Md/PhD, PhD. They can also do it at any time (9 to 3), so be prepared to wait. But I always chat with the interviewees, I am the chatty type lol :), so time flys by for me. If you are anti-social, it will be long and painful...I suggest you bring a book. heh. Somewhere inbetween there is a tour and lunch (at the cafe) given to you by a 2nd year medical student.

I had a PhD person interview me. Which I found annoying, because I think only doctors should interview future incoming doctors lol. Anyways, the guy was more interested in my research than about why i wanted to become a physician.

The second guy was an MD. Again, what was annoying was that this guy didnt even read my personal statement and had no interested in any of my activites. At RFU, they give you a score for everything, gpa/mcat, activites, interview score. This guy showed me my interview score: 14/20. The first guy probably gave me the same score, since you get a third interview if your two scores dont match. Anyways, the score was probably average/below average. Considering my GPA/MCAT are above average for the school, the interview score really hurt me. So far I am waitlisted...

At most interviews I went too, the interviewees had the courtesy of reading my PS over the night before, instead 2 mins before they interview me. So i found that unprofessional, but the interviews were fair. I was lucky that I didnt get a interviewer who asked ethical questions, because there are some (according to the interview group i was in). So perpare for that. I got asked the traditional questions, Why Chicago Meds? Why Medicine? Why America?. But again be careful, it really depends who interviews you (a MD will ask different questions than a PhD). Again, SDN's interview feeback is the best way to prepare.

I will definitely withdraw from that school (lol before they reject me that is). But as far as i know they have not accepted any Canadian students yet. Their class makes for about 3 canadians each year, so you are in good shape.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. Hope this helps. Good luck

P.S Chicago is a cool town. Good thing RFU is located in North Chicago (which is like a forzen desert lol), because if you lived in Chicago its easy to get distracted. From what the students told me, they visit Chicago for post-test celebrations often! :D

P.S Chicago is a cool town. Good thing RFU is located in North Chicago (which is like a forzen desert lol), because if you lived in Chicago its easy to get distracted. From what the students told me, they visit Chicago for post-test celebrations often! :D

I would've recommended shopping at the Marshall Fields flagship store...but the bastards from Macy's bought it last fall....however, I still strongly suggest refueling post-shopping with some sundaes at the Ghirardelli cafe. At least 5 pounds on my frame can be attributed from the multiple trips I had made from Chicago during my undergrad years when I lived 6 hours west, in Minneapolis. :cool:

Sony, a question for you or anyone else who's familiar with the whole matching process in the US - do they look at your med grades for residency matching? Do folks with Ps from a P/F school end up being disadvantaged versus the guys with As who come from letter grade schools? What about the other way around, would a person with a C or B from a letter grade school fare worse than someone with a P from a P/F school?

My feelings about RFU were the same as sony's. Only thing I'll add is that my interviews were super short - both less than 15 mins (got an acceptance 3 weeks after the interview so i guess dont go by length). The interviewers didn't seem to know my file too well. The first guy only noticed that I was Canadian and asked me what I thought the pros/cons were of the american ANDDD canadian healthcare systems. The other interview was more generic - talked about ECs etc. It was definitely a nice school but in the middle of nowhere and no associated hospital. I liked that they gave a food voucher so we could buy lunch in the cafeteria. The med students were realistic - its considered low tier so they had the 'better than nothing and we're all MDs in the end' type attitude. Facilities were really nice.

The med students were realistic - its considered low tier so they had the 'better than nothing and we're all MDs in the end' type attitude. Facilities were really nice.

yes thats why I think the students are so darn competitive, like they have something to prove. I heard they do really well on their USMLE Step 1. The most recent class scored way above average (230+). I think the curiculum is geared for the USMLE test. Also, Chicago has perhaps the best hospitals to do rotations at (other than NY city), this adds to the fact that their match lists are strong. It's a good school, and if it were my only choice, I would happly go there, even at the high cost (39K tuition).

I would've recommended shopping at the Marshall Fields flagship store...but the bastards from Macy's bought it last fall....however, I still strongly suggest refueling post-shopping with some sundaes at the Ghirardelli cafe. At least 5 pounds on my frame can be attributed from the multiple trips I had made from Chicago during my undergrad years when I lived 6 hours west, in Minneapolis. :cool:

cool, next time I am in Chicago, I'll try that place!

Sony, a question for you or anyone else who's familiar with the whole matching process in the US - do they look at your med grades for residency matching? Do folks with Ps from a P/F school end up being disadvantaged versus the guys with As who come from letter grade schools? What about the other way around, would a person with a C or B from a letter grade school fare worse than someone with a P from a P/F school?

Traditionally the most important things are:

1. USMLE Step 1 scores

2. Clinical Grades during Years 3,4

Other (not as essential) factors:

-LORS (including Dean's letter). Means more if you are applying to a tight knit group eg. Neuro Surg, Onco-Rad

-Reputation of the school. There is a reason why Harvard is everyones top choice or why Columbia graduates 10 Neurosurgeons a year (not including JACK from Lost lol)

-Publications (or research experience) - almost required for super comp speciality. Eg. Derm, Onco Rad

-Preclincal year grades (year 1 and 2)

-whether you are part of AoA or not.

-measure of your awesomeness - eg. volunteer experiences, leadership roles, etc

Again though, Step 1 scores are probably the most important. It basically can decide what residency you end up in. Obviously there are exceptions (eg. MD/PHD applicant with average Step 1 scores getting into Neurosurgery)

As for whether grades such as A, B, C are more important than P/F. Well, its probably psychological really. Letter grades usually creates competitiveness. P/F does not. Most top tier schools, Harvard, UofChicago are basically P/F for all 4 years.

And would getting B, C make a difference compared to P...well thats where USMLE's come in....so I would say no. However, if you do get a C or F in a speciality you want to go into (during rotations 4th year)...well then, i dont think even a high USMLE can help you. heh.

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all your valuable advice and insight. At this point, I am definitely approaching this interview with a much more relaxed attitude - not because I think this is a "low tier school" or any other reason. At this point, I really just want these guys to know who I am and why it is they are spending X minutes of their lives to interview me.

Chicago sounds like a great city and RFU sounds like a decent school. Sounds to me that just like all other schools, there are pros and then there are cons. Thanks, I will definitely check the SDN website and I have already contacted some current med students of the school for some personal insights. Quite interesting what I hear so far.

Regardless, I am very excited about this opportunity. The fact that I am getting an interview this late in the game probably means I was "waitlisted" for an interview and was probably not their "first choice". Whatever! If they like me, they like me. If they don't, they don't.

But I SOOOO appreciate all of your comments. Definitely gives me some ideas as to how to prepare for this thing and what to expect.

Thanks again and I love this forum!

What a GREAT feeling it is to know that we are not alone in our journeys to pursue our dreams!

Well, compared to everyone on these boards, my stats are modest/mediocre at best. I guess I'm just lucky to be getting interviews. Here they are anyway:

undergrad GPA (McGill): 3.58

grad GPA (M.Sc. at McGill): 4.00 (1 first-authored paper & 1 co-authored paper, poster presentations at conferences blah blah blah....the grad thing!)

MCAT: 11 (BS), 10 (PS), 8 (VR), R (WS) - 29R

From BC

Well, compared to everyone on these boards, my stats are modest/mediocre at best. I guess I'm just lucky to be getting interviews. Here they are anyway:

undergrad GPA (McGill): 3.58

grad GPA (M.Sc. at McGill): 4.00 (1 first-authored paper & 1 co-authored paper, poster presentations at conferences blah blah blah....the grad thing!)

MCAT: 11 (BS), 10 (PS), 8 (VR), R (WS) - 29R

From BC

blah dont worry about your stats. they are pretty solid anyways. I love that you have a papers already on board. Make sure you bring them during the interviews...to add them to your file.

Archived