Premed 101 Forums

rematching?

I'm just wondering, when you match, are you obligated to attend the school you're matched to?

I'm asking because on the show Med Students, I remember a girl crying in the first season because she matched to Peds at Queens (her 3rd choice), but I just saw an episode of the 2nd season and she's a first year resident in Family Medicine at McMaster (originally her 1st choice).

What gives?

Hi listzt,

You are obligated to go where you match, but it is possible to switch programs if you can get it arranged. I'm not too sure about the details (and hopefully never will be in that position!), but it can be done if you can find a program willing to take you and if your program is willing to release you.

I'm just wondering, when you match, are you obligated to attend the school you're matched to?

I'm asking because on the show Med Students, I remember a girl crying in the first season because she matched to Peds at Queens (her 3rd choice), but I just saw an episode of the 2nd season and she's a first year resident in Family Medicine at McMaster (originally her 1st choice).

What gives?

I've always wondered about that!!:)

Archived