Premed 101 Forums

min 120 credits?

yawn

I am planning on going into med school.

One of the requirement for Mcgill, for example, is "Applicants must have received (or be in the final course of study so as to receive) an undergraduate (Bachelor's) degree in any discipline from a recognized college or university consisting of 120 credits minimum prior to the date of registration for the first year of medical studies. "

However, I was looking through Mcgill University Calendar Catalogue and the programs I am interested states that they are less than 120 credits, even if they are a major or honours program.... In fact, the undergrad program im interested in range from 50-60 credits..... so I am confused... does that mean I won't meet the requirement?

Thanks for your time!!!

You will meet the requirements, because to graduate from McGill with BSc. or BA you will need those 120 credits anyway. It's just that the rest of your credits will come from your electives/minor.

It is worth mentioning that if you come from CEGEP, you will finish your "120 credits" in 90 credits at McGill (3 years). If you are out of province and just have a highschool diploma, you have to do a U0 year first, to learn the things you otherwise would have gotten in 2nd year of CEGEP.

You will get 120 credits easily because 30 of those willbe from your freshman year (or CEGEP) and then you pick a major and/or minor or honors program. and like was mentioned above, the rest you fill in with classes (usually those who want to go to med school take a major or an honours and fill up the rest of the credits with easy courses to help raise their gpa. there are about a dozen or so easy classes that are electives)

Oh, i got another question!

Does that mean that the "30 credits" from cegep will be counted with the other 90 credits for the GPA? Will they take the highest marks courses for my 30 credits? Or will they only look at the credits/courses done at university? I am sorry if I might sound ignorant!

Archived