Premed 101 Forums

MD/MBA interview

EricC

Hello everyone,

I was only able to find one post regarding this interview and am curious to learn a bit more about it. I have been granted an interview on the 22nd. My business background only consists of a few business electives but I've demonstrated leadership and management skills in my ECs. What is the interview like? Is it one on one? Does it focus on management in general or management in the health profession? How many interviews are granted for the 2-5spots? And how many spots are there?? If anyone has any insight, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks,

Eric

• 5 weeks later...

HUmmm I can answer some of my questions now. I went throught the MBA interview, it's a 30 minutes interview, 2 on 1. It's based on why you want to do an MD/MBA, how will it be useful, your management/leadership experience. They said they are simply there to see if you can survive the MBA, and if so, they give the green light to Med. If med accepts you then you get into both. I thought my interview was quite strange (it was very different than what I expected, very relax and informal) so I thought I bombed it. BUt I got in, so I'm pretty excited to see if this joint degree is all it's cracked up to be. Good luck!

PS. Any other newly admitted MD/MBAers?

the MD portion requires 2 one-on-one interview, totalizing 3. As for MSc/MD, I doubt you could as it does not officially exist, although maybe you could do it unofficially. That would probably require paying tuition for 2 programs though... You should definately enquire if that interests you though!

I know some MDs will work towards a Masters degree during their residency, or have their degree before starting Med. Although I haven't really heard of anyone trying to get a concurrent MD/MSc, it doesn't necessarily mean that the opportunity doesn't exist so like Eric said, you might want to inquire.

Hi aclementine,

I did not do the GMAT, nor do I have a minor in business, although I know a few interviewees did have one (which would definately be an asset!). I have one business elective, which I would strongly recommend... it's really a different world (especially when you're coming from science) and I think it's a wise thing to do before venturing down this path. I think your ECs should also demonstrate leadership. FOr my part, I organized with a few friends the creation of a guided tour program in Niger. IT was part of a larger project at the University, but essentially 5 youth from Niger came and helped them built a guided tour program (I was a tour guide at Parliament). I've also organized fundraisers for charity. My current job in Parliament is part of a self-managed team, which is a new trend in business. Basically, you empower employees to manage themselves. So I think I had a few things to talk about, although I'm sure I wasn't the most business oriented. I think the important thing is figuring out why you want to do an MD/MBA, where do you see yourself going with it? Good luck!

Archived