Premed 101 Forums

therapy after the interview

Originally Posted by Caribou View Post

Interviewer: "I see you took several classes in linguistics. My wife is a linguist and I'm always surprised by the level of quanitative thought involved in linguistic analyses. I'm sure you enjoyed the complex formulae applied... etc., etc., etc. ... is that how you felt about it?"

Me **quick, think of something intelligent to say**: "Yes."

LMAO!!!!!:D I'd totally do something like that!

another guy asked me something along the lines of whats the one thing doctors should be least afraid to admit. I go " um I dont know" instantly realizing that the one thing your not supposed to say. To my surprise he goes "Yes! thats exactly it." I was totally confused for a sec before i realized what just happened. the rest the interview went really well and i got in.

Wow, how's that for luck, eh!

In one of my interviews I was talking about the obesity epidemic and as I was looking around the room making eye contact I realized that one of my interviewers was obese just as our gazes locked :eek: . I think my eyes bugged out a little.

Yikes...I thought of talking about that in regard to social issues of our time...but, it did not pop into my mind during the interview. That would be uncomfortable situation that you described, but I'm sure the person knows he or she is obese. What do you do? I always think it is so lame when docs say nothing about one of my relative's major health issues which is obesity. She goes in with aches and pains and other issues which I know would be relieved if she just lost some weight. When I gained 30 lbs with each pregnancy (which is totally normal), it took it's toll on my body. I experience back aches, indigestion and so forth. Once the weight came off, I was cured.

someone pls say something nice. I got grilled (literally...the subject just would not go away) today at my interview about why i do so much for people who are disadvantaged and why I spent so much time trying to be there for family and friends :'(

They may have really liked you and were trying to get you to say a "magic phrase" that they had in their head about that particular issue.

Illusion:

Maybe they had been involved with similar work and had lots of passion for working with disadvantaged groups and wanted to know your opinions on the topic.

Or, maybe they hoped that you would continue to work with disadvantaged groups in your future as a doctor and wanted to hear more about your passions.

Or, maybe you thought you were being grilled because you were in the interview hot seat and you were oversensitive, but actually in "real-time" it was only a friendly 10 minute conversation in an area of your life that they were interested in.

There! Don't over-analyze (I know, I'm a hypocrite...I do the same thing).

someone pls say something nice. I got grilled (literally...the subject just would not go away) today at my interview about why i do so much for people who are disadvantaged and why I spent so much time trying to be there for family and friends :'(

Yeah, it's UNACCEPTABLE for a doctor....;)

hey guys thanks for the support. I guess I'm a bit over it now. I somewhat feel that I was a little cheated in the interview. The entire time was spent on just that and follow up questions. I had no ethics questions at all (U of T) and no questions to really tell them about the scope of my experiences (anything really apart from one personal experience)...it just focused on the fact that I had a lot. It was really, really personal to the point where I got a little teary eyed because it was just question after question about my friend who was suicidal :( but i also feel myself beginning to stumble because it just started as a defensive interview and I guess I should've been more prepared for that...for having too much experience?

Unfortunately, that was also my only shot in the canadian system so it may just be the end of the road for me here. thank you guys for all your help in prep and support :) Good luck to everyone else.

hey guys thanks for the support. I guess I'm a bit over it now. I somewhat feel that I was a little cheated in the interview. The entire time was spent on just that and follow up questions. I had no ethics questions at all (U of T) and no questions to really tell them about the scope of my experiences (anything really apart from one personal experience)...it just focused on the fact that I had a lot. It was really, really personal to the point where I got a little teary eyed because it was just question after question about my friend who was suicidal :( but i also feel myself beginning to stumble because it just started as a defensive interview and I guess I should've been more prepared for that...for having too much experience?

Unfortunately, that was also my only shot in the canadian system so it may just be the end of the road for me here. thank you guys for all your help in prep and support :) Good luck to everyone else.

Don't worry! You can't base your interview on how you felt. :)

illusion, I'm surprised that it got so personal. If you don't mind me asking, why? Being a non-traditional applicant I have many experiences I've been through and I know that some of them would be more difficult than others to talk about if I was questioned. I purposely tried to not shed light on the more difficult ones because I thought it was too personal. I suppose if your experience with your suicidal friend is one of the primary reasons for wanting to be a doctor then I guess that is why it came up. Sorry they grilled you on it...from the small bit you've told us, to me the grilling seems a little inappropriate especially considering the context. Like other posters before me have said though, I bet they just wanted to see that you were human, how you would handle their grilling/the pressue and so forth....

I'm sure you did great! Don't worry, I feel like I got too exuberant at the end of my interview...and I was maybe 3 steps away from doing a "Tom Cruise" jump on the couch "a la Oprah"...in fact, thank goodness there was not a couch there or I may have done it. Pressure does weird things to us all...but sorry yours was so personal!:)

Yes, that experience was one of those 'point of no return' reasons in my decision to pursue medicine and unfortunately there have been many others and they did ask if there were others but only mentioned one other which really influenced my decision (my uncle was murdered a few years ago)...because it had already become too personal.

I guess what also upsets me is that I felt like I took a beating on who I am and instead of 'fighting back' like I normally would, I just took it and at times even helped! (I told them a weakness when I didn't have to!) I don't feel like I got a fair chance but I don't feel like I gave myself a fair chance either. In the end, I just felt that they thought that as a doctor I would become too attached with patients and/or burn myself out with all that I take on...which I really don't feel is true because it's all about balance and enjoying what you do or else I wouldn't have been able to do all that I have :( unfortunately, 'time was up' and that's all that seemed to have come across from the interview. I wouldn't mind if I got rejected if I had given it my all...but I can't even say that now :(

this is just going to nag at me for a few days but thank you all again for being very supportive :) ...I guess we learn from our mistakes and there are reasons why things happen the way they do (hopefully they're good ones! :P )

Archived