Premed 101 Forums

Just a Few Questions

Hi,

I'm brand new to this board so hello everyone. :) I just recently started considering dentistry as a career and so I have a few questions :confused: Right now I'm in my 4th year, and planning to do a victory lap next year (a.k.a. a 5th year) and apply to dentisty. I'm just trying to determine what my chances are to get into the various schools and I have a few questions about GPA and percent calculations so I'm hoping someone can help answer my questions.

So the university of western has the statistics for the previously admitted class in terms of a percentage for the best two years. How would I convert my GPA to a percentage to determine if I meet that requirement? My university goes by percentages so would I just use the average of those percentages or do I actually have to calculate my GPA using a table like OMSAS table for GPAs and then convert it to a percent somehow???

As for U of T, in the admissions book it says you have to have at least 15 full year courses to apply, and they say if you do an extra year the worst year will be dropped from the calculation. Well how they treat a year where less than 5 credits was taken? In my first year I took only 3 full year courses, and it also happens to be my worst year, so I assume it would be dropped from my calculation, but in my second year I did 8 half courses, or 4 credits, so how would they look at this when calculating my GPA? I only have 2 years where I had 5 credits each year. Is that year with less than 5 credits still included in my calculation?

Hi tigger13,

If your school goes by percentage like mine (UBC), then Western will take those percentage as is. They will only convert if your school provides GPA of which they will convert to percentage for their assessment of you.

I am sorry but I cannot answer your questions about UT. Maybe some on the forum can?

I would call the U of T admissions office and ask them directly. I would make sure that you are talking to someone that knows the process well and not some assistant that has no clue. I would think that they would not disregard this year and count it as the year that they would drop but dont quote me on that. As for converting your grades go on the ouac website (google ouac and omsas together) you can download the grade conversion scale. Western looks at your grade percentages for your best two years.

Best of luck

Archived