Premed 101 Forums

Unfilled spots

Thanks for the info wassabi! :)

Sounds like the competition was fierce for gen surg this year. I had heard this was a big obs/gyne year as well (and ortho, and rads...)

Dal's family med program filled in the 1st round, which (apparently, as I've been told) is unprecedented.

Thanks for the info wassabi! :)

Sounds like the competition was fierce for gen surg this year. I had heard this was a big obs/gyne year as well (and ortho, and rads...)

Dal's family med program filled in the 1st round, which (apparently, as I've been told) is unprecedented.

Hey there,

Yep, the competition for Gen Surg was very fierce this year as I know a great candidate who didn't match to it and it was their sole choice of specialty. I also heard that Internal was right up there. As for open spots, the grapevine has been shimmering re: vacancies in both, Pathology and Med Gen.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey Andros,

I heard there were no surgery spots left over anywhere in the country, other than 3 neurosurgery and 1 cardiac surgery. No obsetrics/gynecology spots either. As for the other specialties, I'm not really sure!

wassabi

What are the 3 neurosurgery spots left ? Thanks.

Hey all,

I'm curious to see the list if anyone has it. Is it posted anywhere?

T

Hi there,

CaRMS informed us applicants that the unfilled spots list would be available shortly, but for now, information regarding those spots that are unfilled is available simply by word of mouth from the various programs.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Actually the list of unfilled spots are available, but only to unmatched candidates at the moment.

I unfortunately know this, as there are 8 people unmatched in my class, looking for different career choices :(

CY

Ouch... that sucks CY. I feel for your classmates! How big is your class? I think there is only 1 unmatched person in my class (although there are a few that I'm not sure if/where they matched).

There was 8 unmatched out of 180. Which isn't sooo bad when you think about it... but still. I know some folks just applied to a single program (meh, what did you expect) and others applied only in really competitive fields...with another competitive field as their backup (go figure).

CY

I think the unfilled spots are listed on the Carms website, although I have only found it on the programs' website. There is a quota listed for the 2nd iteration.

Seems like there are 5 unfilled paeds spots at UBC

1 paeds neuro at UBC

1 ER, IM(Thunder Bay) at McMaster

Neurosurg (1 seat each) at Dal, Manitoba and UBC

Looks like UWO has 1 rad onc, 3 anesthesia and family spots left over.

Likely other unfilled spots as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the list I found:

List of Positions for the Second Iteration by Discipline / Listes des positions pour le deuxième tour par discipline

Institution / Institution Positions / Postes

Anatomical Pathology / Anatomo-pathologie

Memorial University of Newfoundland 2

Université Laval 1

Anesthesiology / Anesthésiologie

Memorial University of Newfoundland 1

Community Medicine / Médecine communautaire

Université Laval 2

Université de Sherbrooke 1

Université de Montréal 1

Emergency Medicine / Médecine d'urgence

University of Ottawa / Université d'Ottawa 3

Family Medicine / Médecine familiale

Memorial University of Newfoundland 1

Dalhousie University 8

Université Laval 29

Université de Sherbrooke 8

Université de Montréal 12

McGill University 30

University of Manitoba 16

University of Saskatchewan 11

University of British Columbia 1

General Pathology / Pathologie générale

University of Saskatchewan 1

Internal Medicine / Médecine interne

Memorial University of Newfoundland 4

Dalhousie University 1

Université Laval 9

Université de Sherbrooke 9

Université de Montréal 2

University of Ottawa / Université d'Ottawa 1

University of Saskatchewan 2

Medical Genetics/ Génétique médicale

University of Manitoba 1

Laboratory Medicine / Médecine de laboratoire

University of British Columbia 2

Neurology / Neurologie

Université de Sherbrooke 2

Université de Montréal 1

Neurology -pediatric / Neurologie pédiatrique

Neurosurgery / Neurochirurgie

Dalhousie University 1

University of Manitoba 1

Nuclear Medicine / Médecine nucléaire

Obstetrics & Gynecology / Obstétrique & gynécologie

Orthopedic Surgery / Chirurgie orthopédique

Université de Montréal 2

Pediatrics / Pédiatrie

University of British Columbia 5

Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation / Médecine physique et réadaptation Dalhousie University 1

Université Laval 2

Université de Montréal 2

University of Saskatchewan 1

Psychiatry / Psychiatrie

Memorial University of Newfoundland 4

Dalhousie University 2

Université de Sherbrooke 3

University of British Columbia 2

Radiation Oncology / Oncologie radiologique

Dalhousie University 1

Université de Montréal 1

McGill University 1

McMaster University 1

EDIT - Apparently this list is not exhaustive ??? And there are most spots left over if one rolls over the program descriptions on the CaRMS website. So i dunno... but anyhow. It's still better than nothing to satisfy the curiosity.

CY

In the second round of the match, do the IMG spots remain segregated from the Canadian Grad spots? Or are the spots pooled together? In the second round of the match, could a Canadian Grad apply for that Ob/Gyn spot at OttawaU that blinknoodle mentioned? Likewise, could an IMG apply for a spot which, though initially designated a CMG spot, went unmatched first round?

I saw another list of unmatched spots and those were on there too. Some of the rad onc spots were IMG/return of service spots. Not sure about the 5 unmatched UBC peds spots.

There is no way all these peds and rad onc spots were left over...

noncestvrai

From yr to yr, it's unbelievable how things change. So perhaps what seemed like an interesting career to some last yr, or the prior yrs (ie RadOnc), may not be of interest the yr after. I think only one person in my class wanted RadOnc and matched to it. As for peds, i too think it's unbelievable - but it's true... You can check yourself on the CaRMS website under program description.

Also, this list (from a poster on SDN) seems really similar to the one that my unmatched friend got. The only thing i think is that it seems to be missing a few spots, like for eg Mac Psych that has 4 spots left in the second iteration is not on the list.

CY

• 2 months later...

Just a thought, but it might be a good idea to set up a site for residents considering switching. You could post your proposed switch or list of options and see if anyone from your desired program/location wanted to switch...or if any programs had openings. It would make the process of switching a bit easier for both sides...

Archived