Premed 101 Forums

Questions

Hi,

Am new here - and just wondering a few things.

Firstly, how do they calculate the PAS score? I understand that it's 40% - and this includes activities and referee reports and the interview itself. I called Beth and she informed me that it's kinda holistic, but realistically, given a not so hot interview, but good EC's and great references, am i looking at reapplying next year or should i keep the faith?

Secondly, I have very little research or hospital based volunteer experience. Most of my research is volunteering community based participatory model research almost bordering on social work and my hospital experiences were usually limited to the gift shop or greeting people and leading them to the right facilities (I learned asking "how are you" cheerfully is a bad idea here).

My AGPA will probably run around 3.9, and i have a 33S MCAT wise. Should I write the MCAT again? Or should I work on building up the AGPA? Any tips and/or advice will be appreciated. Thanks :)

Whatever you, do not rewrite the MCAT. 33S translates into an 11.5...which is more than competitive at the UofM. Your ECs seem fine. Maybe you should concentrate on doing more mock interviews before yo go into the interview - that may help.

Also, before going into an interview, you really need to do some thinking about yourself so that you can answer any question about yourself.

Just practice interviewing, saying answers, and rock the real thing when it rolls around. Maybe get some research experience in there too...for all you know, you may actually enjoy it.

I wonder if the interviewers partially assess what they have of the pas - the sketch and the activities and the references - before the interview actually begins, or if they just provide a holistic score that is given arbitrarily afterwards. That is what confuses me a bit. Because I have heard that a bad interview can really break you at times - and often these are people who have excellent ec's and references/ good MCAT scores. If the entire assessment is post interview, then that would make sense, or maybe the PAS and the references are assessed for articulation and suitability? Either way, I'm trying very hard not to get too caught up with thinking about this. Good luck to everyone - and if only med school's motto was "the more the merrier", a lot of us would be much less worried.

Archived