Premed 101 Forums

Averages

co_b

Hey everyone..

Does anyone know what the average CGPA and MCAT was for those who were accepted to McGill Med last year?

And when they weigh each category, are they all evenly weighted? (20% GPA, 20% MCAT, 20% Letter, 20% Interview, 20% CV/Reference letters).

Here are my stats (people can post if they want)

MCAT: 33S

CGPA: 3.72

Good luck everyone!

Hey everyone..

Does anyone know what the average CGPA and MCAT was for those who were accepted to McGill Med last year?

And when they weigh each category, are they all evenly weighted? (20% GPA, 20% MCAT, 20% Letter, 20% Interview, 20% CV/Reference letters).

Here are my stats (people can post if they want)

MCAT: 33S

CGPA: 3.72

Good luck everyone!

Weighing: 20% GPA, 20% MCAT, 40% interview, 20% letter/CV/reference lettres, etc.

Acerage MCAT is usually around 31-32, but last year I heard it was 33. Average GPA is usually just below 3.8.

Your MCAT score is better than mine, but my GPA is better.

I remember speaking to the admissions office on this... I think last year the average MCAT was 32 (WS is not considered by McGill) and GPA 3.7. Granted, I think these are really just indicators because I know people with very very high GPAs that have been rejected.

I remember speaking to the admissions office on this... I think last year the average MCAT was 32 (WS is not considered by McGill) and GPA 3.7. Granted, I think these are really just indicators because I know people with very very high GPAs that have been rejected.

Yup, same applies to people with very high MCAT scores, and people who walked out of the interview thinking they killed it. So I guess, we won't know till April what's really gonna happen.

Good luck!

M. Dansereau actually said that he's gonna try to get them out for early april... but the trends have been for the past years, late april.

McGill doesn't consider the writing sample?? Are you sure?

good luck as always.

M. Dansereau actually said that he's gonna try to get them out for early april... but the trends have been for the past years, late april.

McGill doesn't consider the writing sample?? Are you sure?

good luck as always.

He did say early april, although I think this year he probably meant it since some people I spoke to who interviewed last year were never told this. In any case, it makes sense for them to do this so as to finish up with the MDCM bunch and then move onto the Med-P bunch.

i can confirm that. we were told end of april right off the bat. whatever he says is what will happen because by know, he knows that if he says something and it doesnt happen, he will have a 100 phone calls of people complaining.

averages really don't matter. marks/mcat are used to determine who gets an interview, once you have your interivew, it counts for almost 100%. the averages from last year we around a 32 and gpa like around 3.8. i know people with ridiculously high gpa/mcat who were rejected while those with much more modest scores were admitted. interview is everything. when i got accepted, my mcat was a 30 while my gpa was a 3.97

I don't think that the interview counts for 100%, as the committee made it clear that it counts for 40%. I was just wondering how they actually "score" your GPA and MCAT out of 20...

As for people being rejected with high GPAs and MCATs... I don't think this should be discouraging because no one really knows what happened in the interview or what might have went wrong with the application. It seems that McGill is looking for well-rounded people and not just overachievers...

rapoune, the interview is worth almost everything. unless there have been some drastic changes, which i doubt has happened since last year, this should still be the case. i could see scores and marks coming into play if someone's interview was borderline but pretty much if you excel in the interview, you're most likely going to get in. they do really try to get the most well rounded people and for the most part, our class this year seems to reflect that. marks and mcat and letters are mainly for seeing who gets an interview. those people with high marks/scores who were rejected were rejected most likely due to their interview and something going wrong there.

I think Michel said on the interview day that GPA/MCAT are used pre- and post-interview.

The interview is really important, but it makes about half of what gets you in, he said.

Interviews are subjective, and I don't think they can be used alone to assess the applicant even once the applicant has got an interview. Academics do matter...

I agree, especially since the IP cohort has much more variation compared to the OOP group.

It also makes sense not to place too much emphasis on the interview. You have to keep in mind some people are coming to the interview with no prior interview experience, while for others it may be the last in a series of interviews. People may feel a little intimidated/unknowing of what to expect if it is their first interview, so one can't expect them to perform their best. Of course, there are interviewees which are the complete opposite of this - overconfident and stuck up, which could place them at a disadvantage. I regret having to spend some of my time in the interview waiting room with one of these types...

On the web cite it says end of April. How do they notify you if you get accepted at McGill? Email? Letter? Or Phone?

By email, but an official letter will follow. They said they'll try to get the results out in the first week of April, and if they weren't willing to do so, there wouldn't be a reason to mention that. So I think the results will be out within about 15 days from now. [sCARY...]

By email, but an official letter will follow. They said they'll try to get the results out in the first week of April, and if they weren't willing to do so, there wouldn't be a reason to mention that. So I think the results will be out within about 15 days from now. [sCARY...]

Does anyone know, how many IP candidates they intervied this year?:confused:

last year, the status changed to "admitted with condition" or something along those lines. The condition is that you finish your degree or prerequisites. Last year it changed at 12:01 AM on the day the decision were due to be released. This was followed by an email with an offer of admission. Mcgill is trying to become paperless therefore email is how things are done by the admissions office.

there is a med party happening tonight at orchid if anyone wants to come out and party with us. maybe i'll see some of you there

Archived