Premed 101 Forums

trips when acceptance letters mailed out

Guest GD721

Guest GD721

Hi there,

I was wondering if it is possible for someone else (ie a sibling) to reply to acceptance letters if one is away on a trip around the time that med school letters get mailed out?

Also, transcripts for OMSAS are not due till June 29th right (i think i remember reading that)? So initial acceptances must be conditional then in all cases right?

If anyone knows the exact date for the transcripts could they post it? Thanks.

Guest UWOMED2005

I can answer BOTH questions for you. . .

Yep, as far as I know ALL acceptances are conditional. Make sure you get those transcripts in ASAP (I believe they are due the 29th, but you don't want to foul that up!). . . and in fact, I'd dblcheck in late June that both OMSAS has received the transcript AND that the info has been sent to the med schools! I popped by the UWO Admissions/Student affairs office last July just to say hello, and when I happened to check that everything was set I found out someone at OMSAS had forgotten to input my marks into the computer system! It was easily correctible but if it hadn't been caught I might have been kicked out of the class later in the summer. . .

As far travelling - I know because I had the same problem myself last year! Best thing to do is to assign someone like a parent or a siblling as 'proxy' for you so that they can make decisions and sign stuff. Send both OMSAS AND the med schools a letter explaining the situation signed both by you and your proxy (in fact, I also made letters to be included with any responses.) You might want to also work out all of the scenarios on paper and leave clear instructions for your proxy, should you not be able to get back in touch in time. . .

Hope that's clear and Good Luck!

Archived