Premed 101 Forums

Prerequisite courses

Guest ItsmeMelissa

Guest ItsmeMelissa

It seems that Western will conditionally accept applicants who have not completed the prerequisite courses. Is this standard practice or do you generally have to have the courses completed at the time of application?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Melissa

Guest TimmyMax

Hey Melissa,

It's not uncommon for people not to have all of the prereqs completed when they are accepted at the beginning of June, or whenever- you have until the end of August (or registration(?)) to complete them. This means that you can take them over the summer w/o jeopardizing your acceptance (so long as you pass!).

Best of luck!

Tim

Guest JSS02

I think completing the prerequisite courses by August is only allowed at a few schools (such as Western). Usually you are supposed to have them done in April/May of the school year that you apply. So while it's OK to complete them while you're applying, with most medical schools I don't think you're allowed to take the prerequisites in the summer after you've already been accepted.

Guest UWOMED2005

JSS02 - you'll be attending one of the few schools where that is an option. One of the guys in the 2005 class completed Organic Chemistry the summer after being accepted. That allowance is subject to change, though, and don't forget there is a limit to the number of courses you can take in the summer.

Guest ItsmeMelissa

You Western people are so gosh darn helpful...thanks loads. :D

Is there anyone who could give me specifics on say Ottawa, Queens, or U of T ?

Cheers,

Melissa

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Sorry, I was referring to Western in my post there. I should have been more specific. Oh well! :)

Best of luck!

Tim

Guest JSS02

I'm pretty sure that Toronto, Queen's and Ottawa are not as nice as Western in that they are part of the "most schools" group that I mentioned above. :)

That is, you need to have all the pre-requisites either completed or in progress during the application cycle. I'm pretty sure the OMSAS booklet should have a more definite answer...

Archived