Premed 101 Forums

housing in winnipeg

hey all.... just a quick question for the folks from winnipeg... i haven't started looking for places to stay yet, but was wondering are there any specific areas to avoid. i have heard that the area around HSC is definitely not that great.. but how far out does that cover? ... any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would advise avoiding living around corydon, lots of nice things happen there too, north end is bad, transcona gets a lot of flak, but is just far away from everything, lots of rental places in the fort rouge area, central to everything, 10 mins from HSC and fort garry campus (i own a house in this area so i'm a little biased). people regularily get mugged around the HSC and univ of winnipeg campuses, contrary to popular belief. Some really nice building right around the legislative building (osbourne village area), great view, everything you need, the only urban trendy area in winnipeg really. There are many rental agencies that you can contact, most run by realty companies. hope this helps...

Not all of the north end is bad, just the south part of the north end. North of inkster is ok, like garden city area, im from the north end and really dont like it when people generalize and say its all bad, just the parts closer to the hospital are. I live in a nice area of the north end and its only 10-15 min to the med school.

sorry premedgirl, I guess when I say north end I mean south of inkster and north of portage, especially right along the CP railyard (eek!) The extreme "north end" is probably the nicest are (east st. paul), if you can afford the taxes :) I will say though, I work for CP in the summer, and we had a real problem with guys cars parked at the Garden city inn getting smash and grabbed, maybe isolated, but it sure sucked!

thanks a lot for the input! it's definitely hard to look for a place when you don't know the city that well... i have heard that some parts of the north end is not that good.... thanks for clarifying that north of inkster is alright! i've been looking at the map.... what do u guys think of the area just north east of the hospital..the big street i see is gateway.. i think u have to drive over stadacona bridge to get to the downtown?

thanks a lot again!

depending on what kind of home you want, I'd suggest looking in the Wolseley, River Heights, Ft. Rouge, Corydon area first for older, character homes. these are also fairly affordable areas, and Wolseley in particular is an area of town that seems to be popular with a number of ppl in my class. the other thing going for these areas is that they're all fairly close to school. coolguy, the area you're looking at is probably the east kildonan/elmwood area. the homes there are ok, but i think its kinda away from where all the action is. same with the pembina hwy/mcgillivery area. mls.ca is a pretty good site to check out.

pembin mcgillvary isnt that far away from anything, it only takes a few mins to get over to osbourne from there and up the HSC, even in rush hour. I live right off of jubilee and can get anywhere in the city within 15 mins (maybe more depending on traffic). I think things start to get expensive the more you go down mcgillvary though, theres an area near all the stores reffered to by some as "mortgageville" if that gives any impression :)

Yeah, Garden city area is good. Pretty much everything you need is within walking distance. It's a 15 min drive to school, 30 min bus ride. It's a nice area, the only problem is it's at such an extreme end of the city, so if you want to do something around the Fort Garry campus it'll take you about 30 min to get there. Another option is the Med Apartments. They're cheap (I think rent just went up, but a bachelor is still just 357) and you're guaranteed a parking spot (about 60 extra)(Parking is definitely prime realestate around HSC). You're literally a 2 minute walk from school, and I've heard good things about them. If you're thinking about med apts, put your name on the waitlist ASAP. I think most people who apply right after being accepted get in around september.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would revive this topic again.

For those who are in this application cycle, what have you thought about for housing were you to attend U of M. I guess my ideal situation would maybe be to by a 3 or more bedroom house in the closer area and rent two of the three rooms out to other meds. If not I would maybe get a nicer apt downtown.

It is unfortunate that the campus somewhat secludes itself from allowing a student ghetto to form making safe and decent housing a stone's throw away. It may be unlikely I will have a car (i'm sure like a lot of others). Could anyone shed some light on how frequent/annoying/rapid/good Wpg transit is downtown, and for example, how long would it take to bus from the Leg to HSC? I guess also, how do many students get to HSC without a car and the lack of parking spots?

I thought I would revive this topic again.

For those who are in this application cycle, what have you thought about for housing were you to attend U of M. I guess my ideal situation would maybe be to by a 3 or more bedroom house in the closer area and rent two of the three rooms out to other meds. If not I would maybe get a nicer apt downtown.

It is unfortunate that the campus somewhat secludes itself from allowing a student ghetto to form making safe and decent housing a stone's throw away. It may be unlikely I will have a car (i'm sure like a lot of others). Could anyone shed some light on how frequent/annoying/rapid/good Wpg transit is downtown, and for example, how long would it take to bus from the Leg to HSC? I guess also, how do many students get to HSC without a car and the lack of parking spots?

i was thinking the exact same thing but i'll have a car, so i'm gonna try and scramble up a parking spot asap when (lets hope) i get an acceptance letter. I'm now thinking about a house around st. boniface or condo in the exchange district (tho it gets kind of pricey). I'll probably look into it more come acceptance, god i can't wait . . .

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations to all who have been accepted and good luck to all

those waiting and reapplying.

I have a house that I will be renting out, hopefully, to the incoming class of 2011. It is just off Portage Ave. close to Polo Park, in a park-like neighborhood. Easy 30 min bus ride to HSC, campus and StB Hosp.

Although it may be more than Med Apts, you get what you pay for.. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd revive this thread once again.

So, where's a decent, cheap place to live? I'd like to be close to HSC, as I won't have a car and I'm NOT a morning person. I'd read the previous posts, but, being unfamiliar with the area names, I found it a little confusing.

Also, if I were to live a bit away from HSC, would I be able to bike to HSC? Is Winnipeg bicycle friendly? How 'bout during the winter?

Also, I found the UMan student housing website, which was quite helpful. Is there another website that's also good for listings?

Thanks!

Pushed off the bike? Wow, that sounds rough...

Liszt, do you know if there're any pianos in the Fort Gary campus that we med students would be able to access? I promised myself that I'd spend the next four years at least close to a piano that I can play. If there's none close by, I'm determined to either buy one or steal my parents'!

Note about parking at med apts:

Parking under the building is limited, and there's a waitlist for it. On top of that, they just closed off a couple nearby lots to put in a parkade instead. The parkade might be done by the time you guys come in, but I'm not sure. All people in the lots that got closed were moved to the Emily Parkade. Since I came in after the closures, however, I am stuck in a lot about a block away from the building.

All in all though, I like med apts a lot. The convenience is just too great, and the building is far more soundproof than my previous apartment (a newish development in the maples area) so I can crank the tunes. If you don't mind living in a bachelor apartment, I'd recommend it.

Edit: what am I saying, of course construction won't be done on the parkade by then. It's Winnipeg...

I don't know anyone that it's happened to. There's cameras and security patrols, and it's a well lit area. That seems to deter the hooligans. But I haven't been there long enough to be a reliable source. Honestly, in the year (ish) I was living in the maples area, there were a lot more break-ins/vandalism than I've seen at HSC. But like I said, I'm not a good source.

I don't know anyone that it's happened to. There's cameras and security patrols, and it's a well lit area. That seems to deter the hooligans. But I haven't been there long enough to be a reliable source. Honestly, in the year (ish) I was living in the maples area, there were a lot more break-ins/vandalism than I've seen at HSC. But like I said, I'm not a good source.

But you're a hooligan and you're around!

I parked in a back lane that joined two of HSC's parking lots right next to the Med apartments for about half a year in the transition between med1 and med2. My driver side key hole has been reamed out by what looks like a screwdriver and the passenger side door has paint chips on the edges like somebody was trying to wedge a crow bar in there. I have a viper alarm, MPI immobilizer, AND still use the club. I don't get why they do it.

I've moved into the parkade since and no trouble. It was especially useful to use the underground tunnels to walk from the school to the parkade during the few months where week after week somebody was getting jumped, beaten to the ground, and having all their possessions stolen at either knife or gun point. Those were good times, but they beefed the security up and i think the jerk(s) are scared off for a short while.

I would reccomend staying at the med apartments. Rent is just under $400 I believe, and it is a pretty decent place. The convenience of having to wake up 4 minutes before class starts and still making it on time makes me quite jealous of that place. Biking to school in winnipeg is frightening at best. First we only have 5 months where is is above 0 degrees and secondly we have no bike paths and our streets are super narrow.

Archived