Premed 101 Forums

Blackberry instead of Palm

I know this has been discussed before ( a year ago) but I wanted to ask again: anyone got a blackberry for clerkship instead of a palm? I know that lexidrug just came out for blackberry recently and you can get the stanford guides/terascon pharmacopia now for blackberry. What programs do you guys think are essential for clerkship (palm or blackberry) and which ones have you found helpful? I've heard some people have problems with reliability/durability of the treo, any comments on that?

I know this has been discussed before ( a year ago) but I wanted to ask again: anyone got a blackberry for clerkship instead of a palm? I know that lexidrug just came out for blackberry recently and you can get the stanford guides/terascon pharmacopia now for blackberry. What programs do you guys think are essential for clerkship (palm or blackberry) and which ones have you found helpful? I've heard some people have problems with reliability/durability of the treo, any comments on that?

Go with the blackberry, they are better for you................;)

Black Raspberries Show Multiple Defenses In Thwarting Cancer

Researchers found evidence in rats that black raspberries may both prevent the onset of esophageal cancer as well as inhibit precancerous growth already ...

http://www.osu.edu/researchnews/archive/canberry.htm

Palm. Many more medical apps available for the Palm OS. The OS will be around for a long time too since the company bought the OS recently (they were going to abandon it).

Go BB if you have the funds to get a BIS account from Rogers and hence be able to use the instant e-mail services.

Take a look at the Treo 680.

• 1 year later...

I need to replace my cell phone, as I will be losing my work cell phone when I return to school in the fall. I'm currently debating between a Palm Treo with a data plan and a Blackberry. I used to have a Treo, before it suffered an early death in a snowbank. I liked having the integrated planner/calendar/phone, and want to stick with an all-in-one device.

Does anyone have any particular recommendations regarding Palm Treos versus Blackberries? I would like to have access to my e-mail on the go, but otherwise, don't see myself using much (if any) internet on my device.

Thank you for your help.

Elaine

I have the HTC Touch (windows mobile 6 smartphone) and I love it. In terms of med software that I use almost everyday? Basically just lexi-reader and all the books within it but mostly lexidrugs, 5 minute clinical/pediatric consult, and stedman's dictionary

I never use my PDA.

It was a waste of $500 that our school decided should be a mandatory expense for clerkship. If they actually gave us some software for it, then maybe I could see what they said it was mandatory....but they didn`t give us a thing.

If the hospitals had wireless access, the thing could be more useful too, but so far only 1 hospital I have been at had wireless and it was not reliable.

All the units I've been on have computers easily accessible to up-to-date etc., so I much prefer to just use those and have a decent sized screen. For drugs I way prefer having my tarascons pharmacopia handy then searching through my PDA.

In theory, I thought I would like my PDA...cause I thought it would let me have easy access to information without carrying around alot of books. But I don`t really care for the format of the applications I have. I would prefer to glance through an actual book then to spend all my time clicking and seemingly getting nowhere.

I carry around the section of TO notes that apply to my rotation....the PDA version is TERRIBLE. HAving the paper version also lets me write notes, correct errors (yes there are errors in TO notes!), and update info.

Maybe one day I will find a PDA useful, but so far, I could have done without it.

So my personal opinion is a PDA is not essential for clerkship.

Definitely agree with Satsuma about the Palm being a waste of money. We were also required to use one for clerkship because we had this palm-based program we had to use to log patient encounters and procedures. Other than being forced to use it for that I barely used it at all. I definitely prefer paper to a palm screen.

• 2 weeks later...

My bf has a blackberry pearl and he can access his emails anywhere cause it doesn`t use the internet to access it...I think it must go over the phone lines (but I don`t really know how these things work!)

PDAs have wifi - but unless there is an accessible wireless network where you are it doesn`t do you any good.

I need to replace my cell phone, as I will be losing my work cell phone when I return to school in the fall. I'm currently debating between a Palm Treo with a data plan and a Blackberry. I used to have a Treo, before it suffered an early death in a snowbank. I liked having the integrated planner/calendar/phone, and want to stick with an all-in-one device.

Does anyone have any particular recommendations regarding Palm Treos versus Blackberries? I would like to have access to my e-mail on the go, but otherwise, don't see myself using much (if any) internet on my device.

Thank you for your help.

Elaine

I have a Treo 650, it was great up until the screen cracked when I smashed my leg into a hospital gurney. :P

Ever since then, it has been acting very glitchy. Otherwise it's great...I have ePocrates on there, GPS software (that I link up to a receiver), and other great applications.

Oh, and it's of course a phone too, so you can use the Internet without needing WiFi access.

I had a Treo 700 WX for the past year or so...loved it...easy to type with.

Cons:

It was big and heavy

Unlimited Data/Email cost a fortune (around $70/month)

Now I have an HTC Touch from Bell was is amazing...

Very light

All touch Screen

*** And get this!!! $7/month for unlimited emaila nd internet browsing.

This is a great phone and Ive had very good service so far.

Archived