Premed 101 Forums

swearing in an interview

JOTCH

hahaha i almost did swear in the interview... i was about to say "he'll laugh at you and think you're a pu$$y"... but i changed it last second to scaredy-cat and the pacing of my words slowed down as i said it because i was thinking of an appropriate but non-crude term to use.

hahaha i almost did swear in the interview... i was about to say "he'll laugh at you and think you're a pu$$y"... but i changed it last second to scaredy-cat and the pacing of my words slowed down as i said it because i was thinking of an appropriate but non-crude term to use.

Oh, even better.....a sexist statement!:D

LOL... as someone who has done interviews, I probably wouldn't hold it against an applicant for swearing (unless they were horribly profane, or insulting people, etc)... those who know me know I'm a pretty laid back person, though. I care whether you'll make a good doctor and fit into our residency program, not whether you say "holy $hit". Some of my co-interviewers would not be so cool with the applicants swearing, though.

I was actually just telling some junior residents how I got goaded into swearing in front of a patient. I was a first year resident who had never done a joint injection/aspiration before. We have a VERY passive-aggressive rheumatologist here, who told me that I MUST NOT ask any questions in front of the patient, because that would destroy the patient's confidence. I just had to do the procedure confidently (even though I had never done it before). Well... we had the whole sterile field set up, and I had my sterile gloves on. It turns out, we had a freezing needle, but did not have a bigger needle for injecting the steroid. Now... you would expect the rheumatologist to be courteous and offer to go get the needle for me, but she just sweetly said, "Well... I guess you're going to have to get it then!" So, I had to take off my sterile gloves, find the needle, and reapply new sterile gloves, looking like a HUGE idiot in front of the patient. The whole experience surrounding the joint injection (and the whole rotation itself) had been so frustrating that I muttered f**k under my breath before realizing what I had done. I caught the patient's eye, and he was actually smirking. I expected the rheumatologist to tear a strip off me (maybe not personally but in her evaluation - that would be more her style), but she never did...

haha...I came so close to saying something along the lines of swearing at my latest interview...I said "...it comes down to the person with the biggest.." *pause* (was gonna say balls) switched to "..with the most guts". not sure if the interviewers noticed; but they seemed prety cool anyways.

I know what you guys mean, one time I almost said poo-head! That was a close call!! lol

LOL, you think that's bad?

I was at work on Tuesday *****ing to a friend in another department about an insane coworker of mine and let out the following tirade: "I just wish I could shove a giant ****ing rod up that stupid old *****'s ass." He actually blushed when I said that, lol.

• 3 months later...

sure swearing can be a bit unprofessional.

But i think patients that are from interesting backgrounds may appreciate that doctors are humans too and that sometimes swearing show this. Look at George Carlin, he swears all the time, Mr. Conductor, but people appreciate it because he doesn't swear at them, he just curses at lives stupid problems. As for worrying about slip out swearing, it shows that its part of your nature and your not a robot.

Archived