Premed 101 Forums

Amcas Practice 3R

hippie

Yeah, I thought 3R was pretty easy, too. I got a 10-10-10, but I made 2 totally dumb mistakes in both BS and PS (simply didn't read the question/passage well enough before I answered the question.....learned my lesson), which would've taken me to 11 if not 12.....and the *real* mistakes I made were pretty much all in sections that I already knew I needed more review on before the test (optics, waves, crap like that). So I'm definitely going to purchase one or two of the other practice tests before I take the real thing in 1.5 (GASP) weeks.

We shouldn't make that 3R sound so easy. If some people take it and get 7-7-7, they'll be pretty depressed :rolleyes:

Sorry...but that's the reality. When it comes to the MCAT...there is no need to make people feel like crap...but you also don't want them disillusioned when they get to the real thing. 3R is useful as general practice, but when it comes to content, it is easier and has less predictive ability than 8, 9, and 10. Simple.

*Sits down in MCAT Test room...feverishly clicks away and completes the test, while filling out C C C C C on everything. Then pulls out a wad of 100 dollar bills, and feeds into into the CD-ROM...MCAT Scores come back 14, 14. 15, T."

If only eh?

*Sits down in MCAT Test room...feverishly clicks away and completes the test, while filling out C C C C C on everything. Then pulls out a wad of 100 dollar bills, and feeds into into the CD-ROM...MCAT Scores come back 14, 14. 15, T."

If only eh?

LOLLL

yeah, IF ONLY.:rolleyes:

You mean, these PMs are so important to your self-esteem that you simply can't destroy them?:D

if the test is easier..it will just mean that it will be Harder to score higher, but theres no such thing as an mcat thats easier than the other years because AAMC does statistical tests and takes 2 months (well 1 now) to make sure that your score actually is worth the same as the score of a person who wrote it a few years ago. more "difficult" tests will LIKELY require less answers correct to score the same as an 'easy' exam

if the test is easier..it will just mean that it will be Harder to score higher, but theres no such thing as an mcat thats easier than the other years because AAMC does statistical tests and takes 2 months (well 1 now) to make sure that your score actually is worth the same as the score of a person who wrote it a few years ago. more "difficult" tests will LIKELY require less answers correct to score the same as an 'easy' exam

LOL.....your post literally has NO connection whatsoever to the one of mine you quoted, haha.

The MCAT format was changed in 2003. The test can still be easy if the cohort of people writing them now are smarter than those previously writing it. If the scaled scores were determined back then, and people are writing them now...the whole percentile thing doesn't matter because we are not writing it at the same time and have it judged based on how everyone does.

If we were all to write practice test 3R, have our scores sent in...then have AAMC do their wacky scaling...then it wouldn't be any easier than the other tests.

If this doesn't make sense to you, just agree with it and never speak of it again.

i think what he means is that since the MCAT is marked relative to other people's performance, if you get a really easy test, everyone will kill it, and if you don't do the same, you're gonna get a crappy score. It's harder to do well on an easy test because most people will do very well. A harder test will have people doing terribly, so you only need to do marginally better to get a much better score...

i think what he means is that since the MCAT is marked relative to other people's performance, if you get a really easy test, everyone will kill it, and if you don't do the same, you're gonna get a crappy score. It's harder to do well on an easy test because most people will do very well. A harder test will have people doing terribly, so you only need to do marginally better to get a much better score...

No, the whole point of this scaling this is that you'd do the same on the "easy" and on the "hard" test....so say, getting 55 out of 77 or whatever questions on the "easy" test will get you a 10, but 45 out of 77 on the "hard" test will give you the same 10, because you are falling in the same percentage range. Which is why you can't predict your score accurately based just on your feelings about how you did on the exam. I mean, you can tell that if you breezed through like 80% of the questions, you're probably gonna get a 10+, but you don't have the information to be able to pass judgment on whether that 10+ will be an 11 or a 15.

No, the whole point of this scaling this is that you'd do the same on the "easy" and on the "hard" test....so say, getting 55 out of 77 or whatever questions on the "easy" test will get you a 10, but 45 out of 77 on the "hard" test will give you the same 10, because you are falling in the same percentage range. Which is why you can't predict your score accurately based just on your feelings about how you did on the exam. I mean, you can tell that if you breezed through like 80% of the questions, you're probably gonna get a 10+, but you don't have the information to be able to pass judgment on whether that 10+ will be an 11 or a 15.

After you do enough practice exams...you can generally tell how you did depending on the relative difficulty of the questions and if you think you answered them right. I knew after coming out of the MCAT, I had got 13/12 on PS and 12/11 on BS and at least an R on WS. You get a feel for it. I find predicting VR was not as easy...I usually felt it was between 9-11...so...

There is a huge difference between 11 and 15. To get a 15...you generally need to be unsure about a few questions and pretty much dead positive on at least 95% of the questions. For VR...same thing and you may just get lucky on a few depending on the person.

Archived