Premed 101 Forums

Long working hours

I'm just wondering what people think about the long hours doctors have. I am currently in a job where I work 50+ hours a week and don't want to work much more than that (however this is a job I don't really like...). If you become a doctor, do you have to be prepared for 80 hours a week and up? Is it really possible to have a balanced lifestyle?

I think a balanced lifestyle means different things to different people.

But your lifestyle in medicine with differ alot depending on your specialization and practice setting.

I like to think it is possible to have a balanced lifestyle, but I know it will take some work, and some careful planning re: specialization etc.

There is more control once residency is done...but even at that, there are doctors working longer hours than they would like, not by choice.

I'm just wondering what people think about the long hours doctors have. I am currently in a job where I work 50+ hours a week and don't want to work much more than that (however this is a job I don't really like...). If you become a doctor, do you have to be prepared for 80 hours a week and up? Is it really possible to have a balanced lifestyle?

Hi there,

You get a decent taste of what life can be like in the various specialties once you hit clerkship. This is one of the reasons for the perennial popularity of the "lifestyle" specialties, i.e., those which tend to pay well with reasonable hours.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 8 months later...

A gernal surgeon here in our town actually came and game the premed club a lecture. At the end of his lecture he started discussing his weekly schedules with us to give us an idea of what his life is like.

He was on weekend call every third weekend (we have 3 general surgeons here in town or so he said each takes one weekend call shift). Otherwise he was on call 2 days during the week.

I won't post his exact schedules but of the other 3 days that week where he wasnt on call. He spent two of the days doing surgeries (6-8hrs per day depending on what surgies people needed and the time it took to undergo them) and the third day he spent 5 hours meeting with patients.

I know this isnt every doctors schedule but I found it useful.

A gernal surgeon here in our town actually came and game the premed club a lecture. At the end of his lecture he started discussing his weekly schedules with us to give us an idea of what his life is like.

He was on weekend call every third weekend (we have 3 general surgeons here in town or so he said each takes one weekend call shift). Otherwise he was on call 2 days during the week.

I won't post his exact schedules but of the other 3 days that week where he wasnt on call. He spent two of the days doing surgeries (6-8hrs per day depending on what surgies people needed and the time it took to undergo them) and the third day he spent 5 hours meeting with patients.

I know this isnt every doctors schedule but I found it useful.

Where do you live?

• 1 month later...

Archived