Premed 101 Forums

Interview Experiences

I had a really great experience too. It seemed much more organized and friendly than the other MMI I went through. The tours were awesome and the "unofficial" talk from Kim and Jeremie got me really excited about the possibility of going to NOSM. This school has just moved to the top of my list!

I was a bit unimpressed with the fact that there were no med students around before the interview. We were all ushered into a waiting room, and everything seemed so formal and very tense. Everyother interview seems to have a meet and greet with med students before the interview starts to help people relax, instead of or as well as after the interview.

Hi there gschr!

Thank you for the feedback. This may have been an oversight on the Thunder Bay campus. There were quite a few med students here conducting interviews which made us off-limits to you all aforehand, as well as quite a few preparing for the "unofficial" talk after the interviews. This may have lessened our availability to the interviewees before their interviews.

However, I will definitely pass your concern along to the Interview Admins. We definitely want the interview process to be as enjoyable as possible and as tension-free as an interview possibly can :P I still remember the tension I felt from my interviews last year.

What is nice for you to know is that even though you're not a NOSM student at this point (who knows come May 15th ;) ) your feedback has helped improve our admissions interview weekends for future applicants!

Thank you again for the feedback and good luck with the rest of your year!

Cheers,

LtD

I had a really great experience too. It seemed much more organized and friendly than the other MMI I went through. The tours were awesome and the "unofficial" talk from Kim and Jeremie got me really excited about the possibility of going to NOSM. This school has just moved to the top of my list!

Dear Joh

I am very glad to hear that you found the "unofficial" talk that our dynamic duo gave to you pumped you up to potentially attend NOSM. I do hope that the presentation they gave provided you with the type of info you wanted to make an informed decision come May 15th :D Hope to see you join our fantastic school next year!

Cheers

LtD

Hey Everyone!

Just wondering how everyone found their whole interview experience at NOSM? I interviewed in Thunder Bay and found the whole process to be very positive with really interesting questions!

Dear iwonder,

What aspects of the interview experience in particular did you find positive? Was there anything you felt could have been improved upon?

Cheers,

LtD

Hi Living Dream,

It's good to know that our opinions actually count. I interviewed last year in T-bay and I know it wasn't set up the same way, and I don't remember it being so formal before hand. Maybe I just hit the wrong interview day. And after the interview all the students were very warm and positive.

This was my first interview experience, so I don't have much to compare it to. Perhaps there could have been some students around before the interview to help calm our nerves, but since the class size is so small, and some students were interviewing, I understand why there wasn't. I found just talking with other applicants helped to lessen the formality of the atmosphere.

I found that most of the interviewers had a receptive demeanour and responded well to my answers. The whole MMI went by really fast, and was a great experience. Afterwards, the students and staff did a great job of promoting the school and making us feel welcome and proud to be there. The small class size and closeness of the students are a big reason I would love to attend NOSM!

My whole weekend in Thunder Bay was excellent... nice town, great people and NOSM put on a great interview weekend. The MMI was well organized and it gave me the opportunity to showcase myself and my attitudes/beliefs. I wouldn't mind getting rejected so I could do it all again next year. Armani's was fun afterwards too.

I came in on Thursday morning and had a chance to meet a NOSM’s student on Friday afternoon and she was very nice and took the time to show me the School and talk about her experiences. So I think if you take the initiative you can learn a lot from the locals and students who seem quite willing to answer any questions.

It was my first time doing an MMI (Saturday at T’Bay) and I wish I had done a couple of dry runs with someone beforehand. I was nervous on the first station and focused on the wrong things and I knew this as soon as I walked out of the station. Luckily, the MMI is structured so that you have a fresh start at every station. The whole interview process went by really fast. I thought the atmosphere to be quite relaxed. After the interview was done applicants congregated in the basement again….While talking to other applicants about the interviews we were approached by a NOSM’s professor who gave us words of wisdom….he was absolutely incredible and made me feel good about everything…such a calming effect. The NOSM’s students really did a great job at selling the school and definitely felt the school was really providing a unique and well thought-out curriculum.

I had a great experience, met many people (local, students, and staff) and learned a lot from the process. I will certainly apply again next year if the stars do not align this year.

I thought the interview process was really fun and believe that it would be a very efficient system in finding the people who can work in a fast-paced/stressful environment. But what was best about it was how nice most of the interviewers were! They actually gave a bit of feedback, compared to other schools that just sit and listen to you talk and write things down. I interviewed at Ottawa as well, and did not enjoy the process. I came out of the NOSM interview with a huge smile and was just so ecstatic with how things went, so I'm feeling very good about it. NOSM is definitely my number one choice and it always has been. Good luck to everybody!!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi ChiChi....

that is totally great that you used personal examples....that is exactly what the interviewers need and want to get to know you in the 8 minutes. The idea is to apply experiences you have had in various areas to answer the questions posed to you.

Cheers,

LtD :)

Archived