Premed 101 Forums

depressed about dropping an acceptance?

Guest QG

I know this sounds really stupid considering how many people are waitlisted or rejected, but for those of you fortunate enough to get an acceptance, are you feeling depressed of having to drop it in favor of another school?

(I was rejected last year from all schools, so please no flames at me for posting this! I know how it feels.)

Guest telow

As a person who has been rejected this year, don't worry I am not angered by your message. Congratulations on your predicament. Although I realize that I am not in the same boat as you, I think I can understand your feelings.

I would speculate that you are not, so much depressed, as you are looking forward with trepidation. This is perhaps one of the larger decisions that you will have to make for a while and it will strongly effect the next four years (at least) of your life.

By selecting one university, you are turning down others. That can be a pretty scary thing. (Of course, this is coming from a girl who gets stressed at the selection in Baskin Robbins.) From your message however, I would guess that you have already made your decision. Chances are it is the right one for you; just let yourself commit to it. Whatever happens, I am sure you are going to have a spectacular time and come out of it all as a doctor.

So all that is left to say is enjoy, congratulations and good luck.

I am in the process of doing just that....so I understand completely. It is definitely a difficult thing to do. I keep thinking that if I turn down the other schools, the one I chose will turn around and tell me they made a mistake and revoke my acceptance. I know this sounds completely off the wall, but its true!! I never really expected to feel so much anxiety about turning down an offer....but its there. People keep telling me to weigh out the pros and cons of each and then just decide. That is easier said than done....which factor gets priority.....curriculum, residency stats, geographical location, closeness to family, gut feelings......

Where have you decided to go???

Good luck in your recovery :)

Guest Same situation

I feel so stressed about turning down other offers I actually called the school I accepted to make sure they got my acceptance. I have nightmares that they lost it or I accidentally said decline....

I have to accept/decline my ontario offers by friday and I am sitting on them because I just can't decide where I want to go.

I never thought that finally getting into med school would be the most stressful part of the process. I think it may even be easier to only get into one - that is where you go no regrets.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey guys,

I can emphasize with your situation. I think cgb hit the nail squarely on the head with his comment that

"I keep thinking that if I turn down the other schools, the one I chose will turn around and tell me they made a mistake and revoke my acceptance."

I chose UWO, which was a conditional acceptance (2 conditions to satisfy) over Queen's, which was pretty much unconditional (GPA), and every day I envision this scorched earth/chaos theory of UWO saying that the prereq course I took doesn't satisfy the criteria, so my acceptance is now rescinded. Needless to say, I'll feel a lot better when the registration package arrives. Until then...aye! :P

Best of luck!

Tim

Guest UWOMED2005

Sorry Tim to disappoint you. . . but I don't exactly remember getting a registration package! At least not the same way you would in UG. All of your courses for first are automatically selected for you. I do have a vague recollection though of getting a statement saying I was automatically enrolled in the meds I courses, and a big fat tuition bill. You should also be getting some info on the "White Coat Ceremony" and possibly O-week, though it sounds like 'ekul and enaud' are trying to keep things under wraps to surprise you guys!

Cheers

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Sorry there cgb...

UWOMED2005: a statement saying I was automatically enrolled in the meds I courses, and a big fat tuition bill would suit me just fine right about now.

I guess we'll all find out what ekul and enaud have cooked up for us all in due time! Should be good, though- I have great faith in ekul! :)

Best of luck!

Tim

Hey Tim,

Don't worry about it.

I just finished writing a letter declining my acceptance to one of the schools I was accepted to. I'm still nervous about sending it though! Oh well, it has to be done. I'm sure someone on the waitlist will greatly appreciate finding out this month that they've been accepted rather than later in the summer. I know I would.

Take care :)

I've decided to go with Queen's. I can't give you a really good solid reason for why I decided to go this way other than I just had a really strong gut feeling that this was the best place for me. I think UWO is a wonderful school and the curriculum would definitely suit my learning style (as does Queens'), and I think London is a BEAUTIFUL city, but a decision had to be made. Trust me when I say that it was not an easy decision. I decided to turn down Dalhousie as I felt like I really wanted an escape from Nova Scotia. In addition I really did not feel strongly about such a problem-based curriculum. So, that's it...the decision has been made.

Thanks for your input, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your time at UWO. I'm sure we'll chat in this forum again.

Guest UWOMED2005

And good luck at Queen's. If that was your gut feeling, then you should be happy to go with it. I have a friend going into 2nd year Queen's meds and she's having a great time.

Where in NS are you from, BTW? I did my undergrad out there (King's College, Halifax) and have friends from all over the province.

Good Luck at Queen's and apologies in advance for kicking you butt at FSS 2003 (med school olympics.)

Guest medicator007

Is it true that FSS 2003 will be taking place at McGill? If so i look forward to using home school advantage to beat up on schools that didn't even offer me interviews ;-)

Cheers!

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, I think it is in Montreal next year at either McGill or Universite de Montreal (not sure, though!) Nice chance to hit up '737' again.

Archived