Premed 101 Forums

Average number of hours/week for residency?

Thanks for the Kirsteen.

I know in a way it sounds dumb but I know myself. At about 20 hours of being up I am basically like a drunk. I can't concentrate that well at all and I just want to get some sleep so I can't imagine remembering things well at that stage.

I guess we are all different with a lack of sleep.

I am just heading back to university to pursue my MD. I have had the chance to work in a few fields that allow me to work some very odd shifts that are very close to those that you would see in a hospital. And what has come very apparent is; as long as I am doing something I very much enjoy, I can keep going.

Either way everyone finds away of dealing with that lack of sleep. So don't stress about it too much.

• 4 weeks later...

At UBC, we're paid on a 75 hour biweekly basis (75 hours worked every 2 weeks). Which is obviously laughable and ludicrous...but anyway, how else can they flout BC labour laws?

On something like CTU / ward medicine at UBC, you work 0800 to 1700 everyday, and then a 28 hour shift every 5 days. If your call day lands on a Saturday, then you work everyday, with no break until the next weekend. So at its worst, you work ~ 75 hours in ONE week (Monday to Friday, 0800 to 1700, and then Saturday, 0800 to noon Sunday). And of course, back to work on Monday, but then you get compensated with Thursday call (typically the best, gives you those few extra hours off on Friday afternoon).

Physio

• 1 month later...

Archived