Premed 101 Forums

Is it normally very hard for out-of-province students to do elective @ UBC?

Is it normally difficult for out-of-province students to do elective(s) at UBC? I'll probably head to UWO or Queen's next year (currently attending University of Toronto, but since my family lives in BC and I lived there for 14 years, I'm almost 100% sure that I'll go back in 4-5 years. I really want to do electives at UBC. Is it, however, almost impossible?

Also, if I do more than one elective at other school, would I have more chance to do residency there too?

Thank you. I love you people @ premed101!

Is it normally difficult for out-of-province students to do elective(s) at UBC? I'll probably head to UWO or Queen's next year (currently attending University of Toronto, but since my family lives in BC and I lived there for 14 years, I'm almost 100% sure that I'll go back in 4-5 years. I really want to do electives at UBC. Is it, however, almost impossible?

Also, if I do more than one elective at other school, would I have more chance to do residency there too?

Thank you. I love you people @ premed101!

Hi there,

No, it's not difficult to complete a UBC elective if you plan ahead. For one, UBC restricts electives for OOP med students in that they give first crack to UBC students during certain months. If you're looking for an elective during those months then the chances of snagging one will be lower than if you apply for an elective during an unrestricted month. As an example, I managed to arrange my UBC Gen Surg elective within 2 weeks as I chose 3 elective weeks during a month that was unrestricted. Some of my classmates weren't as fortunate since they tried to schedule electives during the restricted months and had to make alternate plans.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Thanks Kirsteen! Do you think things will start to change with the larger class entering clerkship this year?

Hi there,

I have no idea although, if anything, I'd say the number of elective-restricted months would increase.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 3 weeks later...

Ha. Stupid 4th year organization.

*grumble, grumble*.

Sorry... organizing 4th year has become one of the biggest headaches of my entire med school career. WHY DO WE NEED IMMUNIZATIONS SIGNED AGAIN WHEN WE ALREADY DID IT IN FIRST YEAR? WHY? NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!!! GRR. AND A FULL PHYSICAL? WHHHHY??? Why must I spend more pointless time and money when my health may be different in 8 months when I ACTUALLY COME TO YOUR SCHOOL TO DO MY ELECTIVE!!!! GRRR AGAIN. And my doctor won't sign mine since I had ACL surgery last month. GRRR.

Phew. I feel better now.

Rand over.

As for UBC, they do not open up out of province spots until after the "in-house" year is finalized (4th year rotations for UBC students).

The good news is since we have a new organization/curriculum this year, many of us are COA (covering our asses)... ie people have filled their whole 8 months with UBC electives, while they apply for, and wait to hear about others from across the country.

What that means is that *sometime* (once we know what we get at UBC for next year, and once we know what electives we secured across the country) a WHOLE BUNCH of UBC electives should get freed up.

Sorry for the hassle, but the system is so stupid it is causing a COA-system.

Grr.

Archived