Premed 101 Forums

summer plans - med I

thought i'd share my plans (mostly to cheer myself up, exams are killing me!)

just finishing first year med (three more finals to go), and will be leaving for ecuador in two weeks. i'm spending two weeks madly studying spanish in quito, doing a month-long service-learning program through child family health international (in the amazon basin), and then travelling around ecuador for most of august.

can't wait! everyone else's plans sound really exciting too, and huge congrats to those who are done their year already.

~pf

• 4 weeks later...
Hey everyone,

As the school year winds down, I am sure all of you guys out there are starting to think about what your summer will look like. I personally am planning on taking the summer off and travelling europe. Just wondering if anyone else is thinking of travelling too? Is is it a good idea?

I am just starting first year at UWO this fall and I would love to travel next summer. Honestly though, I have been attempting to budget myself with the loan I got for 4 years and as far as I can see I can't even make rent in my 4th yr let alone travelling! How is everyone able to afford this? I feel that my loan was very standard too!

Les

When you say loan, you mean LOC? Are you also counting gov. student loans in that math? I'll be starting at UofO this fall, but I haven't worked the #s yet. I was expecting with the 150 000$+ LOC and gov. assistance of probably at least 40 000 over 4 yrs, most of us would have spare change for travelling... maybe not fancy hotels & restaurants travelling, but at least some good backpacking & staying in hostels... hum... I probably should do the math soon though ;) I guess it also must depend on your own living costs & standards... I'm planing on keeping my regular student lifestyle (ie no car, not much shopping, shared apartment), as having $ left over for travelling is really important to me... Did you have the same things in mind?

Archived