Premed 101 Forums

summer plans - med I

Hey everyone,

As the school year winds down, I am sure all of you guys out there are starting to think about what your summer will look like. I personally am planning on taking the summer off and travelling europe. Just wondering if anyone else is thinking of travelling too? Is is it a good idea?

Hey everyone,

As the school year winds down, I am sure all of you guys out there are starting to think about what your summer will look like. I personally am planning on taking the summer off and travelling europe. Just wondering if anyone else is thinking of travelling too? Is is it a good idea?

Hey, can't believe first yr is almost over!

I'll most probably be working in a hospital (preceptorship program) for all of June, and then I'm off to Greece and India for the rest of the summer! We only have two summers left and I don't intend to waste them!

Why would traveling be a bad idea?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing med-related stuff :o

My summer will be research-filled...since I don't have any research experience otherwise. I hope it'll be somewhat interesting!

I do admit I'm jealous of your europe travel plans though.

Next summer (my last free summer!), I will have to take off...

Hey Madz!!!! you rascal...take me with you to Greece and India???!!! lol

I am doing two non-mandatory electives this summer barring any technical glitches in the process. I wanted to gain some clinical experience and keep my skills up and hopefully improve them :D

why Greece and India btw Madz?

Peace,

LtD

Hey Madz!!!! you rascal...take me with you to Greece and India???!!! lol

I am doing two non-mandatory electives this summer barring any technical glitches in the process. I wanted to gain some clinical experience and keep my skills up and hopefully improve them :D

why Greece and India btw Madz?

Peace,

LtD

India because I havent been in 4 years and I want to see my family. Greece because my Greek friend is taking me! lol ...she's going to show me around Greece and I'm going to show her around India! :D

India because I havent been in 4 years and I want to see my family. Greece because my Greek friend is taking me! lol ...she's going to show me around Greece and I'm going to show her around India! :D

Damn, you are so lucky! I always wanted to travel east to India but never had a chance. I'm currently waiting to hear from Queen's and UWO and it is just drying up every blood cells in my body! Furthermore, what if I get wait-listed? Think about that for a second lol. If that is to happen, then I'll probably spend most of summer gibberishing to myself in my room and checking my hotmail every 2 minutes. Boy, I'm going to hate this year's summer so much. :)

Damn, you are so lucky! I always wanted to travel east to India but never had a chance. I'm currently waiting to hear from Queen's and UWO and it is just drying up every blood cells in my body! Furthermore, what if I get wait-listed? Think about that for a second lol. If that is to happen, then I'll probably spend most of summer gibberishing to myself in my room and checking my hotmail every 2 minutes. Boy, I'm going to hate this year's summer so much. :)

LOL! I sympathize with you. I was in your place last year and I remember the torture all too well! Hope you get good news on May 15th so you wont waste your summer!

Hi..I'm heading to India for the summer too. And i'll be in India when the results from med come out too..which is kinda wierd. Where do you plan on going in India, i'm up north and then travelling down to central-bomba,goa/pune..and i have a 1 month volunteer experience planned too. SOooo..exitec its been a few years since i've been.

Hi..I'm heading to India for the summer too. And i'll be in India when the results from med come out too..which is kinda wierd. Where do you plan on going in India, i'm up north and then travelling down to central-bomba,goa/pune..and i have a 1 month volunteer experience planned too. SOooo..exitec its been a few years since i've been.

I'll be going in mid-July and staying mostly in the North. I'll be only there for 5weeks.

Hey Madz25,

How did you set up the volunteer experience in India? The reason I am asking is because my sister is visiting India this summer to see some extended family and she was looking to set up a volunteer experience of some kind while she is there.

Hey there, I'm not volunteering in India (going for pleasure, not business). Someone in my class is going for volunteer purposes though. He contacted some organization and worked it out that way. Sorry I can't be of more help!

Hey everyone,

Travel, travel, travel .....

If you going to Greece ... check out Santorini Island

France ... The Louvre, Palace of Versailles, Paris ... awesome food!

London ... covent garden!

Belgium ... (best beers you'll ever taste!!)

It's all good!

I just came back from two months in India and Bangladesh.

It was quite an amazing trip. Although I've traveled quite a lot through Asia already, it was quite eye-opening. It was totally chaotic, dirty, and noisy, but with so much history and ancient culture, friendly people and awesome food, putting up with the hassle (especially in touristy cities like Agra) was definitely worth it. I think I liked Calcutta the best, although Varanasi was cool, and the Taj Mahal was surprisingly mind-blowing.

Already jealous of you guys who get to go this summer! You will have an amazing time...

supa

I just came back from two months in India and Bangladesh.

It was quite an amazing trip. Although I've traveled quite a lot through Asia already, it was quite eye-opening. It was totally chaotic, dirty, and noisy, but with so much history and ancient culture, friendly people and awesome food, putting up with the hassle (especially in touristy cities like Agra) was definitely worth it. I think I liked Calcutta the best, although Varanasi was cool, and the Taj Mahal was surprisingly mind-blowing.

Already jealous of you guys who get to go this summer! You will have an amazing time...

supa

LOL. chaotic, dirty, and noisy pretty much sums it up! I haven't been back in a few years and I'm really looking forward to it. My fav place to go is Simla - or anywhere in the Himalayas.

Gee, what are you doing on this forum then .... :rolleyes:

They are likely trying to bring a bit of reality to some of the premeds who think that medical training and practice are going to be all warm & fuzzy as long as "in your heart really want to be a doctor." Ha. Medical training, especially once clerkship begins, is more than gruelling. You work ridiculous hours, have to study in your "spare time," spend the majority of your time feeling like the idiot at the very bottom the totom pole and you pay monstrous amounts of money to do this. You often don't have the time you wish you did for your family, who are usually making even bigger sacrifices so that us med students and residents can follow our dreams.

In the end, we obviously all think it is worth it, otherwise we wouldn't do it. However believe me, if you think it's going to be all roses and fun, then you are sadly mistaken. Noncestvrai gave fantastic advice - once clerkship starts, you are forced to commit most, if not all of yourself to medicine for quite a few years - spending the last couple of summers I had off doing something unrelated to rejuvenate myself was one of the best decisions I made.

I'm thinking of doing Europe as well - we have a six month old and want to go somewhere somewhat safe - Greece sounds nice (maybe because I just ate Greek food last night), or Hungary. I just want to relax, yes! Make some money working as a poolboy, but otherwise enjoy myself.

Now, I know that MS3-Graduation you have no more summers and your entire life will be medicine.

Knowing this, I sure as hell would take the time to do what I wanted, such as travelling or working a minimum wage job and drinking all summer, during the first two summers.

But what about the ones who want to head into very competitive specialties? Is research not almost a prerequisite for them? These students, I think, have to do research and try very hard to publish something too (if say they want plastics or something)...no rest for these guys right? Or can they choose not to do research during these summers?

Now, I know that MS3-Graduation you have no more summers and your entire life will be medicine.

Knowing this, I sure as hell would take the time to do what I wanted, such as travelling or working a minimum wage job and drinking all summer, during the first two summers.

But what about the ones who want to head into very competitive specialties? Is research not almost a prerequisite for them? These students, I think, have to do research and try very hard to publish something too (if say they want plastics or something)...no rest for these guys right? Or can they choose not to do research during these summers?

It certainly isn't a bad idea to pursue some research projects if interested in competitive fields (plastics, derm, ophthalmology, etc), but you don't have to dedicate your entire summer to research. You can also choose to work on projects during the school year - how do you think Mac and Calgary students pursue research without summers? During your electives, you could also opt for a research elective (at UWO, we can do a 4+ week research elective if we choose).

Hey everyone,

I just finished my first year at UofT. Today is the first official day of summer 2007. I have worked in research for the past 4 summers, so I decided to take this summer off and travel and “maybe” do one month of shadowing if I am lucky!

Here are my plans for summer 2007

1- I am going to the States to visit my relative:) .

2- I am “supposed” to shadow a family physician through Rural Ontario Medical Program (ROMP). I applied to this program in Jan 07, and I still have not been matched to a preceptor:mad: ….I think it’s getting late to arrange for an alternative if I am not matched by the end of this week…:(

3- I also going to the Middle East to visit my parents….and to Germany to visit my Cousin:) .

Hydes79

Archived