Premed 101 Forums

whte coat ceremonies

Hmmm... I went to U of A, and I haven't really heard this term used before. At the beginning of 1st year, we have a ceremony (forget what it's called now - brain dead after part 1 of licensing exam) where we all take the hippocratic oath, get lectures about professionalism, etc. Everyone gets dressed up for this, and later on there is kind of a cocktail/party thing where you get to mingle with some of the faculty.

At the end of med school, we had a picnic where some of us ceremoniously burned our white coats (since at U of A, clerks wear short coats, and these are no longer needed come residency). That wasn't an 'official' ceremony, though. It was also about 2 degrees outside that night. Blech.

Does anyone know which ON medschools have whitecoat ceremonies?

I've heard Mac and UW do.

I think UWO has a white coat ceremony. We don't have one at UofT, but during o-week there is a fancy "Dean's breakfast" where everyone stands and takes and oath. There is also another such event at the beginning of clerkship where we have a fancy lunch with the Dean and take another oath. Personally I'm not a big fan of the white coat ceremony. Honestly, there is so much ego-stroking during the first few weeks of med school and a big ceremony just adds to it. I don't like associating the "white coat" with some kind of special status. Besides everyone in the hospital wears white lab coats so you can't tell a 3rd year clerk from a senior resident from a pharmacist from a dietician.

Though Ottawa didn`t have it the year I started, I think there was a white coat ceremony last year.

Wouldn't use it as a deciding factor of where to go. Even without the white coats we still had an oath saying ceremony blah blah blah during O-week.

Agree with the ego-stroking comment! Seems to start right with the acceptance letter.

As for everyone wearing white coats. I suppose that can happen. But one hospital where I worked, only MDs were allowed to wear white coats so that people wouldn`t get confused. Personally I think it is more important to be able to tell a nurse apart from the cleaning staff...but it seems anyone can wear scrubs!

mcgill has a white coat ceremony as well, at the beginning of 2nd year. it's caused a lot of problems for our year in terms of venue and date so there is a lot of tension and conflict surrounding it for our year. i am looking forward to it. at mcgill, we have nothing clinical in our first year and a bit so this is a nice way to mark the transition towards starting in the hospitals

Hey, thanks for all the replies.

I was only musing about this because I was thinking how great it would be for my parents and grandparents to be a part of this process. After all they had to put up with all my SH-- all these years and they've been incredibly supportive.

It wouldn't be a factor in my decision.....in fact, I'm not even in the game till next year and any school that takes me...I'm goin'.

Anyways, good luck everyone.

Archived