Premed 101 Forums

UBC Surgical Specialties

Can anyone with experience comment on the competitiveness of the various surgical specialities at UBC in terms of CaRMS matching. I read the post below that says there is usually 1 spot left over in neurosurgery.

General Surgery

Urology

Thoracic Surgery

Vascular Surgery

Also, if anyone knows any surgeons in Vancouver who are open to early exposures this summer (for ~2 weeks any time in July or August) can you please PM me (1st year student).

Thanks

I can only comment on urology. In general, across the country, it is a competitive residency to get (like most surgical specialties). As for UBC specifically, they take 3 residents per year. They have a reputation for "taking their own", but I don't know how deserved that reputation is... they have quite a few residents from western Canada but that might be because the applicants from those areas might be more likely to want to stay in the west. If you're from UBC, your chances would probably be higher than someone from another school if the department gets to know you and they know they could work with you but that's not UBC specific. I think that, in general, you probably have the best chance at matching to your own school unless you wouldn't be a good fit for the program.

Good luck :)

• 3 months later...
Can anyone with experience comment on the competitiveness of the various surgical specialities at UBC in terms of CaRMS matching. I read the post below that says there is usually 1 spot left over in neurosurgery.

General Surgery

Urology

Thoracic Surgery

Vascular Surgery

Also, if anyone knows any surgeons in Vancouver who are open to early exposures this summer (for ~2 weeks any time in July or August) can you please PM me (1st year student).

Thanks

Hi there,

From personal experience and that of others, I'd say that UBC General Surgery is quite competitive. I've heard that it's very favourable to complete a Gen Surg elective at UBC if you'd like to go there although it's not impossible to receive an interview if you don't have an elective and likewise, it's not guaranteed that you'll receive an interview even if you did complete an elective there. (I know people who were in both positions.) When a student completes a Gen Surg elective there, they are generally placed on the hepatobiliary team. I've heard from one or two current residents that they do this to test your mettle since the hepatobiliary team is generally the busiest and with the most intense call. When I completed my elective there I had more call than any of the other students on the service.

In terms of contacts, there is at least one resident representative on the Gen Surg selection committee. Chances are you'll work with him/her while on rotation there. Also, if you do rotate through the hepatobiliary service then you will be exposed to other decision-makers in the program which can either serve to strengthen or weaken your residency application.

In terms of Vascular Surgery, this is currently a fellowship specialty and not direct-entry. That being said, you can complete an elective in Vascular Surgery but it will not be counted as a Gen Surg elective by the Gen Surg Dept.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived