Premed 101 Forums

French applicant

Have you ever taken an English class at the University level or did you do you HS in English? I did half of my university in French but English is my first language- it never became an issue. I think that if you write an essay and do the mcat in English then there wouldn't really be a reason to question your English competence since it is easily assessed during the interview. You could always make mention of it in your personal letter ... I didn't I figured if you don't mention it they don't ask but i did have half my courses in English.

There are a couple people in our class that speak French fluenty and I think a couple of them might be French as a first language.

I'd contact them at the admissions and student affaias office but i'm sure it isn't a problem.

BTW JPC 43 was totally not out of line, since there was nothing wrong with the message it was just a joke. I wouldn't suggest moving out to NS which is predominantly English if you are that easily offended. I don't htink very many (definately no one in med) people are anti-french but a few jokes about everyone are thrown around (my rambling e=mails and webposts are a common target for me:))

BTW JPC 43 was totally not out of line, since there was nothing wrong with the message it was just a joke. I wouldn't suggest moving out to NS which is predominantly English if you are that easily offended. I don't htink very many (definately no one in med) people are anti-french but a few jokes about everyone are thrown around (my rambling e=mails and webposts are a common target for me:))

A joke like the one mentioned is only appropriate if a kind and informative answer follows. Jokes left stand alone like the one in question are not easily read as jokes. When it was the only post with no further useful information in response to the OP, I felt it was a) not really funny and B) did not show the friendliness that in fact characterizes the Maritimes. So..imo...keep things funny AND friendly! :)

Hi scooter,

To start off with the first question, I have taken english courses all through high school (which I prob ended up with a A), but none at a university level. I do however consider myself fluently bilingual in written and oral English...

For the comment about my english ... I wasnt really offended and I am used to being sarcastic myself. However, you never know, there are lots of weird people out there :P

thanks everyone, you've all been very friendly ;)

Archived