Premed 101 Forums

UK Graduate Entry (4 year) Medicine

if you go to UK to do med, though you are guaranteed Foundation Years training*, you can't stay beyond that (if you don't have citizenship). so if you don't get matched into a Canadian residency, you can't fall back into anything and can't work anywhere.

foundation years training = internship in uk

• 2 months later...

As much as those ideas look appealing, I still think that the carribean schools are better than any other route for north american candidates.

Caribbean schools specifically train you for the USMLE and the US clinical rotations will be a lot of help when it comes to matching in a residency spot.

Those will make coming back to Canada much more realistic than studying in Europe or any other place for that matters.

While you may be right in saying that Caribbean schools specifically train you for the USMLEs, I still think that you'd be well off to consider the quality of education you're getting. Now, I can't directly comment on the quality of the instruction in the Caribbean schools because I haven't attended them, but I know that I'm getting an excellent education at a leading school in the UK.

In the end, that has to account for something.

It is also getting easier for international graduates in Canada so in a couple years time things could start looking better. Additionally, although there is some uncertainty about practicing here in the UK, I've heard it isn't that difficult to get a spot after Foundation Year training.

hey, thanks for all the info NeuroMed

I just had a couple questions to ask you, firstly did you have to take the IELTS test? If you have, what is that all about? Is it just your basic english language proficiency test?

if you go to UK to do med, though you are guaranteed Foundation Years training*, you can't stay beyond that (if you don't have citizenship). so if you don't get matched into a Canadian residency, you can't fall back into anything and can't work anywhere.

foundation years training = internship in uk

Secondly, if you do have citizenship but don't actually reside in the country, can you still get residency in the UK?

• 1 month later...
hey, thanks for all the info NeuroMed

I just had a couple questions to ask you, firstly did you have to take the IELTS test? If you have, what is that all about? Is it just your basic english language proficiency test?

Secondly, if you do have citizenship but don't actually reside in the country, can you still get residency in the UK?

1. English tests are usually only required if you haven't studied in an English language institution for a certain number of years (generally 5 years, I think) - so as long as you can show you've been taught in English for a fairly long time, you likely won't have to do the IELTS.

2. If you are a UK citizen, you should be able to obtain residency in the UK. I think the biggest issue is for international, non-UK medics. However, even if you have a UK passport, you still have to pay international fees - you must have been living in the UK for a minimum of 3 years prior to commencement of your medical studies in order to pay home fees.

BTW I'm also a Canadian (Hons. BSc. from U of T) and I will be starting medical school at King's College London this coming September 2008 :)

• 4 months later...

This is interesting.

The UK graduate entry programs seem like great alternatives to Canadian or US medical schools.

But I wonder why there doesn't seem to be that many people applying to the UK compared to the Irish or Australian schools.

I've looked into the costs of some of the schools (like the Barts and London and King's College) and while they're not cheap, they're not too bad.

The costs seem comparable to those of the US institutions.

Is there anyone applying to the UK this year?

In terms of costs, UK schools are definitely comparable to Irish and US schools. Perhaps what's holding people back is the fact that not all UK schools offer graduate entry programs, and even if they do, it's extremely competitive. Irish and US schools, on the other hand, are like the Canadian system in offering mainly 4-year programs. You might want to check out http://www.newmediamedicine.com for forums on UK and Irish schools.

Just because you're a British citizen does not make to eligible for home fees. You actually have to have lived in the UK for 3 years at the time of your application or done your A levels in the UK.

Or if you are part of the EU, then you can pay home fees. Otherwise, international fees.

I did alot of research since I was born in the UK and have a British citizenship, but still would have to pay international fees if I were to study there.

I was waitlisted by Imperial for their 4-year graduate-entry program this past round. I'm not sure if I would have went, since their tuition is double that of any other UK medical school. It's a great school though! Admission is VERY competitive. I believe 100-120 interviews were granted for 50 spots, and only 10 of those spots are for internationals. The interview process is akin to panel-interviews in Canada. I won't be applying there this round. Personally, I'd stick to the US in order to match alongside Canadian grads during CaRMS rather than in a separate IMG pool. Then again, the match stats for anything except family medicine are pretty good for IMGs.

I am also considering the UK.

You guys should realize, though, that most UK schools do not let international students have graduate entry, because our degrees were obtained overseas. We'll have to apply to their 5-year program along side the highschool applicants instead.

Neuromed, did you really get into a 4-year Graduate Level entry with a degree in Canada?

I emailed Bristol, Birmingham, (2 of the only 3 schools that don't require UKCAT or GAMSAT; the other is Liverpool), and they said that my Canadian degree wouldn't be recognized for Graduate entry (I believe Liverpool is the same).

I am seriously considering applying to the UK, and am currently researching UCAS etc. in between MCAT studying (though, right now, it's mostly MCAT).

Any bits of information are greatly appreciated.

I'm also abit puzzled why I hear far more about Carribean and Australian schools than the UK (although I understand Carribean schools prime students for USMLEs).

Imperial, Oxford, King's and Barts and the London (QMUL) all accept Canadians with undergraduate degrees into their 4-year graduate-entry programs.

By the way, you should have a very competitive UKCAT score. 2500+ score is recommended.

Hmm, i see. Thanks for the response Jixe.

It's unfortunate that all of those schools require the UKCAT. I'm full speed ahead on the MCAT right now, and I don't intend to put time into the UKCAT before the UCAS deadline.

I suppose it's the 5 year program at Bristol, Birmingham, and Liverpool for me, then.

Hey guys,

I wrote the UKCAT last year and it's only about a 2hr test. It's actually not too bad at all. The verbal section is quite similar in many ways to the verbal on the MCAT. A lot of the other sections are quite similar to what you would find on an IQ test - it's quite hard to prepare for. I actually didn't prepare for it and I did very well. I got interviews at all the UK schools I applied to. However, I'll be heading to Australia since it has many advantages compared to studying in the UK.

Zuck

• 3 weeks later...

Most Australian medical schools are grad-entry so all the students tend to have at least one degree. I like this since all my classmates will be around my age.

Also it is much easier to do further training in Australia after medical school if one wants that option. I'm not sure if I'll stay for post-grad training but I want that option open. More options is less stressful. Oz schools are also less expensive (quite significantly in many cases). The clinical training is supposed to be superb in Australia - often better than the North American schools. I don't know about the UK, but in Ireland, the clinical training is well known to be lacking. I also much prefer the weather in Australia! ;)

Zuck

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Most Australian medical schools are grad-entry so all the students tend to have at least one degree. I like this since all my classmates will be around my age.

Also it is much easier to do further training in Australia after medical school if one wants that option. I'm not sure if I'll stay for post-grad training but I want that option open. More options is less stressful. Oz schools are also less expensive (quite significantly in many cases). The clinical training is supposed to be superb in Australia - often better than the North American schools. I don't know about the UK, but in Ireland, the clinical training is well known to be lacking. I also much prefer the weather in Australia! ;)

Zuck

do you know if UK grads would have comparable success in CaRMS or in the US match as australian grads? Staying in UK for me wouldn't be a problem for me because I'm a citizen so I have the option to train in UK. So apart from cost (and weather i guess:p) would you say UK = Australia?

Hey Kam,

I'm a UK citizen as well. In terms of Carms, UK won't have any advantage/disadvantage compared to Oz. Same thing in the US match. They are both international medical schools. The biggest advantage you can give yourself to match in a country is to have the citizenship of that country. Since I don't have a US citizenship, this causes problems for me to match into the US.

From what I know, staying in the UK is a bit of a problem even for local graduates. Many of them are trying to do training in Australia because of the shortage of intern spots in their home country.

One good thing about the UK is that it is very close to Canada compared to Oz! Also, the academic year is in line with the North American academic year. In Oz, school starts in January.

When I'm in Oz, I'm going to try to keep my options open by writing the USMLE's. This can open some doors.

Zuck

Archived