Premed 101 Forums

Applying Boroadly...

Well that's the advice everyone gives for students applying to the states...However while checking many websites and the profiles of people who got accepted in the states....It seemed that even that many universities say they accept Canadians, most of them actually never end up accepting any...

Is it a waste of money applying to schools like SUNY upstate, Meharry, M C of Wisconsin, Michigan state univ?

PS: sorry about the title..

From my viewpoint, that depends on two things:

Do you have a green card?

Do you have money to "waste" on statistically low chances?

Many schools say (and will respond to your emails) that they consider Canadian students. However, most require you to have permanent residency status going in. For those that don't have this as a requirement, even still the number of Canadian students they have admitted is usually low and at higher standards. Here is a section of an article that gives you a breakdown of a school's specific policy and their history of letting Canadian students in. It may be out of date now, so emailing the schools personally is still recommended. From the information below it is notable that applying to SUNY Upstate or Michigan State would only be advisable for exceptional candidates if you do not have permanent residency status.

SUNY UPSTATE MEDICAL UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF MEDICINE

Permanent residents are treated like US citizens. Other noncitizens must have exceptionally strong credentials to be considered, must meet INS requirements, and must establish an escrow account for four years of tuition. An average of 1 to 2 noncitizens are enrolled at Upstate. Financial aid is not available.

MEHARRY MEDICAL COLLEGE SCHOOL OF MEDICINE

Canadian students are considered as international students. Meharry uses the definition, noncitizens without permanent residency (green card), for international students. International students are not included in the count of minority students. In the last three years, 10 out of 200 international applicants have been accepted to Meharry Medical School. All non-US citizens must meet INS requirements for F-1 Visa. Financial aid is not available for non-US residents.

MEDICAL COLLEGE OF WISCONSIN

International applicants, including Canadians, are held to the same eligibility standards and academic criteria that are in place for nonresident applicants. In the past three years, MCW has admitted 6 of 20 interviewed international applicants. Before an international candidate is accepted, s/he must demonstrate Financial Certification showing ability to pay for their entire medical education without financial aid. There is no financial aid available for international students.

MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF HUMAN MEDICINE

Noncitizens with the exception of Canadians, without permanent residency are not encouraged to apply. MSUCHM has accepted only 4 Canadian applicants from about 290 noncitizen applications in the last three years. Noncitizens from Canada must provide proof of financial ability to meet expenses before a student visa is issued.

http://www.naahp.org/resources_InternatMed_Article.htm

Well that's the advice everyone gives for students applying to the states...However while checking many websites and the profiles of people who got accepted in the states....It seemed that even that many universities say they accept Canadians, most of them actually never end up accepting any...

Is it a waste of money applying to schools like SUNY upstate, Meharry, M C of Wisconsin, Michigan state univ?

PS: sorry about the title..

Canadians I know who got interviews at the above schools (THIS cycle):

Upstate: 8 ppl

Meharry: 2

MCW: 0

MSU: 2

All those schools are a good bet, except for MCW.

To comment on an earlier post - if you have a green card, you are treated the same as US applicants, so the Canadian issue is no longer a concern to you.

I agree with Mikkey. I looked through my US News stuff, and some schools will invite like 28 foreign students to interviews, but accept 0.

Some schools didn't provide data on international applicants, but I looked at the class profile to see what the percentage of foreign students is (some places have like 7%). Other places may look bad on paper (say, 1% intl students), but then their class is like 500 people, so 1% is actually a few people.

And you can also gauge your chances from the IS/OOS data if the international statistics are not supplied. Some schools will have like 2000 IS applicants, interview 1000, and accept 200, and then they will have 2000 OOS applicants, but only interview like 38 and accept 3. Obviously you know not to bother with that school as an international, and it's safe to assume that the OOS's they interviewed have both great stats AND connections to the state (e.g. went for undergrad there).

To comment on an earlier post - if you have a green card, you are treated the same as US applicants, so the Canadian issue is no longer a concern to you.

I agree with Mikkey. I looked through my US News stuff, and some schools will invite like 28 foreign students to interviews, but accept 0.

Some schools didn't provide data on international applicants, but I looked at the class profile to see what the percentage of foreign students is (some places have like 7%). Other places may look bad on paper (say, 1% intl students), but then their class is like 500 people, so 1% is actually a few people.

And you can also gauge your chances from the IS/OOS data if the international statistics are not supplied. Some schools will have like 2000 IS applicants, interview 1000, and accept 200, and then they will have 2000 OOS applicants, but only interview like 38 and accept 3. Obviously you know not to bother with that school as an international, and it's safe to assume that the OOS's they interviewed have both great stats AND connections to the state (e.g. went for undergrad there).

I would still apply broadly. because you never know what schools likes you. Check out U of Hawaii stats. I know traditionally they take 6 OOS students out of 150 interviewed (includes international students). I know 2 canadians this cycle who got accepted there! Folks you never know...sometimes it might be better to leave out Harvard and apply to MSU, especially if your stats are average. You only want to apply once! Do it correctly, you don't want any regrets.

Archived