Premed 101 Forums

What amount of money can we expect to get from our line of credit?

Provincial loans are never enough. Most students carry a line of credit if they do not have financial backup.

Even if you do not need a line of credit, consider switching to either ScotiaBank or RBC because their accounts have great features without fees - their way of enticing you to be a lifetime member.

Again, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. You know I am on this Board to help!

I just went to the RBC website and it looks like they changed some things. The last time I checked it they say they give 150K at prime plus a gold visa. Now, there is no mention of any visa and the rate is prime + 1%... that sucks. Do you think there is any way to negotiate the rate back to prime? Its very early on but I think I am going to go and talk to RBC, Scotia etc soon and see who gives the best plan. Any advice from those already in dents?

Hey Tristan32,

Where were you looking? Were you looking at LOC for normal students? You are considered a professional student and as such, are subject to different rules. I just went to the RBC web site and found this:

A $150,000 Student Line of Credit at prime, with no restrictions on how much you can borrow annually.

As you can see, the interest rate is PRIME only.

Also, on the same page, I found:

A VISA* Gold card with no annual fee1**

* Minimum credit limit of $5,000

Again, this is still available to us. If you want, I can give you more assistance. I pm'd you.

The RBC Professional Student Account Manager got back to me from the message I left her on Saturday. The initial limit is 150K, but she reassured me that bumping it to 200K is not a problem and she has done it before. It is mainly on a case-by-case basis.

Keep in mind, that's what I was told when I wanted to bump up my credit card limit. Guess what? Everyone I talked to who asked for an increase, got it.

Do not worry about the limit - you can ask for more when you need it.

Archived