Premed 101 Forums

Guide to applying to American Schools

I am sure many people have asked this question, but i would like to have someone write one and perhaps make it a sticky

when do we apply?

do we apply for school visa first or do we do that after we get an offer?

one central application center?

where to send reference letters, autobio, etc..

etc etc

if someone know a post somewhere, please make a redirect

thank you very much

when do we apply?

The earliest date to submit your AMCAS application is June 1 or sometime close to June 1.

do we apply for school visa first or do we do that after we get an offer?

after

one central application center?

for canadians, yes - it is called AMCAS.

where to send reference letters, autobio, etc..

Personal statement and autobios and what not are included in your primary AMCAS application. LORs are sent to schools individually (you can use interfolio as a centralized site to which you can send all your LORs to, and then send out the LORs to individual schools either snail mail or electronically).

It's not just for Canadians, everybody in the US uses it.:) I think there is a very small # of schools that do not use AMCAS, but from what I remember about the list, you don't want to go to those schools anyway, hehe.

lol - i should have explained it better. i meant for canadians, there is amcas. americans also use amcas but for schools in texas other than baylor (maybe UTSW too but i dunno), they use another central apps system for texas...and these schools do not take internations i believe...

lol - i should have explained it better. i meant for canadians, there is amcas. americans also use amcas but for schools in texas other than baylor (maybe UTSW too but i dunno), they use another central apps system for texas...and these schools do not take internations i believe...

Tuck Fexas.

Tuck Fexas.

Know a pretty good Canadian student who got accepted at UT Southwestern (a top 20 school). She got in PhD/MD though. But getting in Texas is extremely hard...you certainly need family living there or absolutely amazing stats. Baylor's the only texas school that is not part of TMDSAS.

Archived