Premed 101 Forums

attending conferences while in med school

Hi,

I'm wondering if there's any value in attending regional/national med conferences while still a lowly med student. Is it any good for networking, or am I better off simply setting up electives in my desired field?

Thanks for your help.

I definitely recommend setting up away electives in your field. In conjunction with this, I also think attending conferences can be helpful. Oftentimes this is encouraged and supported. As an example, there is a subsidized program for medical students to attend the annual SOGC conference and UWO's OB/GYN dept will chip in additional funds to cover the rest of the travel costs. Numerous OB/GYNs have said that a great way to show further interest is to attend their annual conference.

Hi,

I'm wondering if there's any value in attending regional/national med conferences while still a lowly med student. Is it any good for networking, or am I better off simply setting up electives in my desired field?

Yes, it can be quite helpful to attend conferences in your area of interest during medical school. Most especially if you can present something at those conferences. I attended one conference in Nanaimo a few summers ago (after first year medical school) and not only did I meet some faculty and residents while there, but it also helped to rule out that specialty given the paucity of good research in that area.

Ideally, any activity within your specialty of choice may be helpful as it can more clearly demonstrate your interest in that specialty.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived