Premed 101 Forums

Number Interviewed

This is all kind of humorous. I don’t think I can remember a time where people were complaining that they got an interview before. Most people that don’t get an interview would die just for a “chance” to show their stuff. Yes it’s a trip to get there, but such is life (I say this because it is the same everywhere that takes OP people). Perhaps NOSM should reduce their interview numbers a little, but then so should many schools. I know here they interview around 400 for 100 spots, when there is essentially no way the list will move that much, but schools do this to include as many people as they can. To my knowledge, schools hate picking people based solely on grades, but it is the only objective way of limiting how many people get an interview. NOSM seems to trying to keep their pool of possible attendees as large as possible for their benefit….and the benefit of us all. Because as much as I am sure people here may think it is about them, it’s really about training doctors for everyone.

*Note, I am at Queen’s and am currently procrastinating studying for finals, so I have no vested interested in NOSM in any way.

I know here they interview around 400 for 100 spots, when there is essentially no way the list will move that much, but schools do this to include as many people as they can.

That's pretty standard interview numbers for the business world. Most HR people (who are specialized in interviewing people) like to interview 4 candidates for every available job. The numbers don't strike me as bad at all.

I've had the opportunity to see the admissions process and interviews from the other side. I believe that 400 is an entirely appropriate number of students to interview.

In a circuit of 10 students at an MMI there are generally only 2 or 3 that really stand out with their responses. I don't know how much variation there is in the pre-interview scores, but in my experience, only 20-30% of students are really given a significant boost by their interview scores.

I think NOSM should take this into consideration. I mean its very expensive for us to fly to the north. They need to step up to the plate now and allocate spots for non northern ontario people like other schools do and then interview accordingly to that allocated number. This way we know what we are competing for and we have a way of being able to say for sure how fair the process is.

Like Kidha said are they interviewing 100 non northerners and letting in 2???? Who knows cause they are so tight lipped about it. It seems kinda unethical to me, especially if their reasoning is as Kidha speculates.

I petition for 100 interview at TBay and 100 interview at Sudbury next year.

I believe the point of NOSM is to have a school in "northern" Ontario that trains doctors who have an interest in remote and rural communities, as well as staying in the North. Originially, I believe that they weren't even going to take non-northern applications at all, so the fact that non-northern students are being considered at all is lucky. If it's too expensive to go for an interview, shouldn't that have been something you considered before applying?

NurseNathalie has a point...there will be plenty of time to build up anger and resentment toward NOSM once you are a student.

That is a pretty bold statement. NOSM is a new school, so with it comes problems that I'm sure won't be ironed out until years 5, 6, 7, or later. That is also something you need to consider when applying. There are many NOSM students who love the school and the program.

I guess what I'm saying is that when you apply to medical school, it's all about becoming a doctor. But remember, the school isn't going to change itself and it's mandate just because you think you are exceptional candidates. Maybe one day they will interview less students, but for the mean time, I'm sure they're just trying to figure out what works to fulfill the goals of the NOSM curriculum. If you ALREADY aren't happy with NOSM, hopefully you don't get an offer, and if you do, you should seriously consider turning it down, because it's not the place for you.

at all, so the fact that non-northern students are being considered at all is lucky.

I think its the students from NO that are lucky!

Just because I do not agree with the number of people that NOSM interviews does not mean that I am unhappy with the school in totality. How does the number that NOSM interviews have anything to do with its Mandate! I mean seriously ISLET nothing you say is making sense I can only hope its because you didn't read the entire forum and not the fact you have serious comprehesion problems. Hopefully you do not get into medical school either (sorry I have to stoop to your level).... because I think that you would find it very difficult. If you did make it into medical school please let me know which one you got into so that I can avoid it!

actually, i'm going to veterinary school in September. I just happened to come across this forum and I can't believe the things you people say about schools that you're hoping to be a part of. That's definitely not the mindset we have at NOSM, nor is it anything I'd ever say about any vet school I applied to.

The only way this is wasting your time is for you to read it, so don't blame me for how much time you spend on this forum. I understand first handedly how frustrating and stressful the whole application process is, but does it really make it any less frustrating or stressful by bashing a school you're hoping to get into? On a forum that current students from that school frequent?

You know, I posted here the other day out of boredom, and decided to check to see if anyone responded to what I posted. And I have to say, Albt, you should stop for a second, and put yourself in the other posters shoes for a second (and yes, I am well aware of previous posts recommending that others do the same and read the everything that was said.)

1) This school is trying to recruit future doctors, preferably those who will stay in the area when they graduate. Perhaps you believe that it isn't fair that a school shows preference to one sub-set of people, however, due to their mandate, it is reasonable to expect those from the North to wish to stay there, at least more so than those from other areas.

2) Expensive to fly up North? Well I have news for ya, it is expensive to fly down south as well, so it works both ways for many schools.

3) Like I said earlier, maybe you don't like the 1:8 for spots, but guess what.... the school owes you nothing at all, and you should be thankful that you are one of the 8. It is easy to say that you wish your odds are better, now that you have had your chance, but for those in the future, they would prefer a chance to show they can do it.

4) Finally, why should they step up the plate and open up spots only for other areas? To appease you? I don't mean to be rude, but all of your posts make it sound like NOSM did you a disservice or something, and that they are wasting your time. Perhaps that is not the intent of what you are writing, but it is the vibe that comes across. I understand the difficulty in waiting, especially if you feel that you are competing with those with a leg up, but you must remember, the point of medical school admissions isn't to be fair (common misconception), it is about finding the best people for the future (and in NOSM's case, the best for the future of Northern Ontario.)

I think NOSM should take this into consideration. I mean its very expensive for us to fly to the north. They need to step up to the plate now and allocate spots for non northern ontario people like other schools do and then interview accordingly to that allocated number. This way we know what we are competing for and we have a way of being able to say for sure how fair the process is.

Like Kidha said are they interviewing 100 non northerners and letting in 2???? Who knows cause they are so tight lipped about it. It seems kinda unethical to me, especially if their reasoning is as Kidha speculates.

I petition for 100 interview at TBay and 100 interview at Sudbury next year.

hey big B

1. i have no problem with that mandate! Do not interview anyone not from NO ontario period then. Why waste ur time and ours! Seriously think about this answer. if you have a mandate and want to recruit and retain people in the north and the best way to do this is to take students from the north, why the hell are you interviewing hundreds of people not even from there?

2. its only expensive to fly north when your chances are extremely low of getting in, even if you ace the interview!

3. i am a citizen of this country any public institution training public servants owes me and the rest of canada something. Regardless of what you think. Do you honestly think that an institution built on tax payers money is not responsible to you in someway?

4. NOSM does need to step up to the plate and be reasonable in the interview process.

ISLET stick to given mouth to mouth on hamsters leave med discussions to premed and med students.

Quote Posted by ALBT "ISLET stick to given mouth to mouth on hamsters leave med discussions to premed and med students."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

That ALBT is the type of attitude not welcome, nor appreciated on this forum. It is just as hard, if not harder to get into vet school, than it is to get into med school. I respect ISLET's comments and hope that ISLET continues to read and post on these forums.

Cheers,

LtD

hey big B

ISLET stick to given mouth to mouth on hamsters leave med discussions to premed and med students.

Considering I've had association with NOSM for the past 2 years, I'm pretty okay with reading and participating on this forum. I'm pretty protective of a place where I go to work everyday.

Oh, and by the way, it's "giving" not "given". But g'luck with med school, champ!

hey big B

1. i have no problem with that mandate! Do not interview anyone not from NO ontario period then. Why waste ur time and ours! Seriously think about this answer. if you have a mandate and want to recruit and retain people in the north and the best way to do this is to take students from the north, why the hell are you interviewing hundreds of people not even from there?

2. its only expensive to fly north when your chances are extremely low of getting in, even if you ace the interview!

3. i am a citizen of this country any public institution training public servants owes me and the rest of canada something. Regardless of what you think. Do you honestly think that an institution built on tax payers money is not responsible to you in someway?

4. NOSM does need to step up to the plate and be reasonable in the interview process.

Response:

1) Because they want to see if they can find others that would fit into the school.

2) So? I didn't realize that the cost of travel was a concern that schools should take into account. Perhaps, maybe, if you think it is a waste of time going to an interview, you could...I don't know...NOT GO.

3) Ummm docs aren't employees of the government. Yes our education is supported by the government, but you will have no say in what I decide to do when I graduate. Furthermore, they do owe you something, hence the 5 other schools in southern Ontario. With this school, they are trying be responsible for others in the province.

4) Like I said in a previous post. You say that because you have the luxury of saying it. If you hadn't received an interview anywhere, you would likely be glad for the chance there (or anywhere) to show that you can make it. You believe they should change the interview process because it wasn't ideal for you, however, and I say this again, and I'll say it more directly,....who cares? The school isn't trying to cater to its interviewees; it is trying to find future doctors for Northern Ontario. They have “stepped up”, for the people of northern Ontario.

ANYWAYS.....like I said before, I am not at NOSM, and although I am from Northern Ontario, I have little interest in what NOSM does, I just can't believe that someone is complaining about getting an interview.

I don't get it.

1. At one point you say that the reason they favor NO students is cause they want to fill the mandate. Which is fine by me. Then you say the hundreds that they interview from non NO is so that they can fill a few spots with other good candidates. Does this not seem like a contradiction to you? You can't have both!

2. Cost of travel is a consideration when you do not have a realistic chance. I will not answer this question for you again, you keep posting the same stuff and I keep giving you the same answers.

3. In one post you say that NOSM doesn't owe us anything and in another post you say they do. So which is it? Like I said before you can't keep having it both ways.

4. I would be glad for a spot if I had a realistic chance and good odds. Maybe if I don't get into any school next year I won't bother with NOSM. Just sucks that so many candidates will be given false hope. Its taking advantage of students in a desperate situation. YEs i know not all that interview are given a spot in the class, however, each candidate should have a reasonable shot. I read one of the old posts that students with higher gpas, excellent feedback on the interview didn't get in. In my opinion probably the most unethical behavior of any medical school that I have applied to!

I think we should put an end to this back and forth. We are not getting anywhere with any new info and we should end it with "agree to disagree". I will try not to post after this one. However, anyone who wants to discuss this matter further or application/interview/abs/essays etc. Just private me. Contrary to my aggressive stance on this topic.....I can be very helpful as well. Good luck to those waiting.

mac interviews about 500 students for about 149 spots. Furthermore, they take in many more people outside of hamilton. After its said and done its still 4:1 (NOSM 8:1) after the interview which is a respectable ratio. Mac takes in way more people from outside their geographical area than NOSM does. Mac takes in more students from ouside their local than NOSM does. The only numbers that are comparable are porbably the amount of oops that mac takes over non northerners that NOSM takes (both around 10% of the class). However, from what friends that go there tell me, like other schools, the number interviewed from oop correspond to fair acceptance ratios of oops. Hope that helps.

I know its been said before, but to reiterate, no school tells a student to attend an interview, but rather INVITES you to attend. I can easily admit that if granted an interview at any school that I had applied to, I would have happily travelled to that school in an attempt to fulfill my dreams and goals. Otherwise, what would have been the point of applying in the first place? It would be interesting to see what people might say if the numbers interviewed were lowered, as their chances to be offered admission would also decline. Can we make everyone happy in this? I doubt it.

As a NOSM student (charter class), I can tell you that the school worked very hard to construct a class that would not only be most likely to meet its mandate, but through a broad mix of backgrounds and knowledge bases would be willing and capable of working together in this unique program. It wasn't an easy task, and I for one am glad that the effort was put out.

LOL this debate is ridiculous.

If you don't like the way NOSM does it - then there's a simple solution: DON'T APPLY!!!

NOSM is new, they don't know what to expect right now in terms of how many people will pick NOSM as their first choice/how many will be taken off the waitlist. Better safe than sorry, right? A few years ago Queens went through their entire waitlist - I'm sure no school wants that to happen.

You should be thankful that out of all the applicants, they considered you competitive enough to invite you for an interview.

I realize it can be frustrating knowing your chances are low. But realistically, NOSM was created to service the northern ontario community, the fact that they even have ANY seats for non-NOers is nice of them.

This debate is futile...I'm sure there are better ways to spend hour time/energy.

Archived