Premed 101 Forums

Visa for residency after 9/11

Ok this is something I have been wondering about. For residency, you will need a H1B visa or a J1 visa, but does nationality affect your chances of geting these visas? I'm only wondering because besides the canadian passport, I have a syrian one. Are arabs disadvantaged, especially after the 9/11 crisis?

Go to the consular website. I know there are definitely some extra procedures for Middle Eastern males when applying for any US visa. However, I am not sure whether the same would apply if you have a Canadian citizenship along with Syrian. Also, all Middle Eastern males at my undergrad had to go through special procedures anytime they left and reentered the US, even if it was just for a vacation and their visa stayed valid throughout the entire time. The only question, as I said, is whether the same would apply if you use your Canadian passport only and never mention anything about Syrian citizenship. Browse the consular website.

Go to the consular website. I know there are definitely some extra procedures for Middle Eastern males when applying for any US visa. However, I am not sure whether the same would apply if you have a Canadian citizenship along with Syrian. Also, all Middle Eastern males at my undergrad had to go through special procedures anytime they left and reentered the US, even if it was just for a vacation and their visa stayed valid throughout the entire time. The only question, as I said, is whether the same would apply if you use your Canadian passport only and never mention anything about Syrian citizenship. Browse the consular website.

ya dont mention your syrian citizenship. mention that you come from there but dotn mention you are currently a syrian. i dont think you have to tell the government you hold both citizenship.

Archived