Premed 101 Forums

Electives at McGill?

I am an American at a US med school and am thinking of apply for away electives in Canada. So far, UofT is booked solid for almost everything - wow! But I am really interested in McGill and Dalhousie. Do people have any advice, thoughts on visiting electives at McGill? I am interested in Neurosurgery, Anesthesia and maybe Radiation Oncology. Are these super competitve in Canada? I know NS is competitive mostly because they only take about one visiting student per month. Is housing really hard to get nearby for a few weeks?

I know Montreal pretty well and speak decent French (read fluently). Grandmother was from New Brunswick, so I know and like Canada well. Anyway, thanks for any thoughts and advice!

• 2 weeks later...

Visiting electives are fairly straightforward to apply for and obtain at McGill.

To get a sense of competitiveness, check the Carms website for match data about the specialties you're interested in. Off the top of my head, both anesthesia and rad onc are reasonably competitive, though for the latter not nearly so much as in the US. I'm not sure if neurosurgery is even filling its Carms quota since Canadian training lost US board recognition.

Finding housing is easiest in summer months but will never be a problem.

why is this happening?!?!

Hi there,

It could be a conjunction of a couple of factors: 1) the job market is significantly smaller (due to the closure of the US market and potentially the threat of the Interventional Neuroradiologists); 2) the Neurosurgery residency is notoriously bad with respect to permitting a life outside of it.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived