Premed 101 Forums

Deleted Threads

Hello all,

Ian Wong has made myself and two other charter class members moderators of the NOSM forum. I took the initiative of deleting a lot of the old posts dating back to early 2004/2005. I figured you would not want to read about how the waitlist was moving in 2005!

If there are any threads that were deleted that you would like to see returned, please let me know. Also, if there is any way that the forum can possibly be made better...just drop me a message.

Axo

Welcome! It's great to have some new moderators around. :)

About deleting threads --- imho, threads shouldn't be deleted based on them just being old and possibly not relevant. They're still of historical interest, and if they aren't, they don't bother anybody by just sitting there.... Also at least some of the deleted threads were advice on the application and so on, that seemed to me to be still somewhat relevant (even if not particularly useful).

U deleted some very hot topics that were very recent about admissions policies. i think regardless of how crude some of them were they were very important issues. They should be returned as i believe it to be censorship and a way of sweeping important issues under the rug.

Yes if some of the posts were offensive and rude those specific ones could be removed not the whole thread.

Agreed, I've tried to keep the relevant ones around. Opiedog is sorting back through the ones that were deleted and will try to put back any of the threads that she thinks may be of help to future applicants. There were many posts however from 04/05 that were getting confused by current applicants as being posted recently. This is why some of the posts actually may be harmful to future applicants. Alot has changed in 2 years, but then again, there are many things that haven't!

Yes, the two "hot topics" threads were deleted. There were some great points brought up in those threads, unfortunately, in my opinion (and in the opinion of many others), both had degraded into mean-spirited bickering. I wasn't about to specifically pick which points merited being deleted.

Criticisms of the school (curriculum, admissions process, etc.) are fair game in this forum...but please keep the comments civil.

yeah dont delete posts, thats just wrong.... wrong im telling you! lol no matter how irrelevent something is. ppl still go through it and may find some usefull info. so for the future, dont delete threads, just block them.

my 0.02$

Yes, threads that are contentious should be locked rather than deleted. And while it may be confusing to have old threads around, I don't think that's a good reason to delete them. Imho, it's best to err on the side of caution both when deleting threads and locking them and to moderate as lightly as possible while keeping the forums useful and readable.

Well, the "hot topics" have been put back. As I said, we will go through many of the other old threads and find out which are relevant and are helpful for applicants. Some of the old threads contain information for applicants that simply does not apply anymore.

Criticisms of the program are all good unless the comments that are made are directly offensive to other users. There is absolutely no need for some of the comments that have been posted on this forum lately.

Some of the old threads contain information for applicants that simply does not apply anymore.
That's all well and good, but please don't delete those threads just because they don't apply. That is not the moderation policy at this board, and hasn't been for the many years this board has been running quite successfully. Old threads are left as is, and it's up to the readers to decide whether or not they are relevant. If it bothers you that much, then lock them, or add a post at the end saying "this information is no longer valid", but please don't delete anything unless it is (a) spam, or (B) offensive.

If you want to discuss changing the moderation policies of the board, then perhaps you can start a thread in the appropriate moderator's forum and see what the consensus is among the moderators.

No problem, all of the threads have been put back onto the forum.

Cleaning up the forum was done in an attempt to ensure that accurate, current information was being brought to the current applicants. I understand that deleting multiple threads is not a practice of this board, however, having a medical school without a moderator for 3 years is also unique, especially for a new school where policy change is more frequent.

I have had a few friends this year be misinformed by reading old posts in this forum. I will simply caution the users to check the dates on the post, since many from 2 years ago have become intertwined with more recent posts by current applicants.

Thanks Axolotl for the initiative. While I am glad the hot topics are back up, I don't see the need to keep old posts from 2 to 3 years ago that are misinforming current applicants. I say this because like you I have had several friends use this forum and be confused by the old policy of NOSM. There is no historic value in those posts as peachy has said. Current applicants want the info pertinent to them, not the info from years past which they then have to sift through to figure out if it is still valid.

Just my opinion :) Thanks again Axolotl!

Cheers

LtD

The old posts are relevant... even if 2-3 years old.

That's why I always recommend the search function. There is a gold mine of info on the site, you just have to weed through the posts.

If you find old info cluttering the site, it may be worthwhile to sticky a NOSM FAQ.

Archived